- Title: TURKEY: SANTA VISITS ANIMALS IN IZMIR ZOO
- Date: 19th December 2002
- Summary: (EU) IZMIR, TURKEY (DECEMBER 19, 2002)(REUTERS-ACCESS ALL) 1. VARIOUS OF WINNE THE BEAR 0.11 2. SLV SANTA CLAUS ENTERING ENCLOSURE WITH KEEPER 0.25 3. SMV SANTA TAKING ANIMAL CAKE OUT OF SACK AND PLACING CAKE ON GROUND 0.37 3. WIDE OF SANTA AND KEEPER IN ZOO ENCLOSURE 0.49 4. SCU SANTA LOOKING INTO BEAR ENCLOSURE 0.59 4. SLV WINNIE EXPLORING ENCLOSURE AND FINDING CAKE 1.13 5. CLOSE OF WINNE AND POO EATING THE CAKE 1.21 6. SCU SANTA WATCHING 1.28 7. SMV PEOPLE AT ZOO 1.31 8. SLV SANTA CLAUS ENTERING THE ELEPHANT BEGUMCAN'S (beg-um-jean) CAGE 1.42 9. VARIOUS, SANTA FEEDING THE ELEPHANT CAKE 2.11 10. WIDE OF SANTA AND ELEPHANT , SANTA WAVING AND WALKING AWAY 2.24 11. SCU SOUNDBITE (Turkish) TANGUL KAHRAMAN, VETERINARIAN OF ZOO, SAYING: "At first we were concerned if the red outfit of Santa would have an effect on animals. But when he started feeding them, they loved him." 2.37 12. VARIOUS OF SANTA FEEDING THE GIRAFFE CALLED EFE (3 SHOTS) 2.47 13. WIDE OF SANTA WATCHED BY CHILDREN, FEEDING GIRAFFE 2.52 14. SMV GIRAFFE BEING FED 3.04 15. SMV MOTHER AND CHILD WATCHING WITH SANTA 3.08 16. VARIOUS GIRAFFE FEEDING (3 SHOTS) 3.27 17. SLV SANTA LEAVING THE ZOO 3.42 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 3rd January 2003 12:00
- Location: IZMIR, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Reuters ID: LVA6RU4QMW89NH6ND58TN64MWCTO
- Story Text: A Turkish zoo in Izmir has received a visit form a
special guest dressed in red and white.
Santa Claus dropped in to give some of the animals an
early Christmas present.
As Christmas is just around the corner, the animals of
one lucky zoo in the Turkish city of Izmir received an early
visit form Santa Claus on Thursday (December 19).
Santa's first stop was the garden where the zoo's two
bears, Winnie and Poo live.
Despite the fact that he delivered their presents by
hand, Santa chose the safe option of leaving some cake in the
cage before the bears came back from an afternoon sleep.
In traditional fashion Santa said he wanted to surprise
them when they woke up.
Winnie and Poo didn't even wait around to see who left
the tasty treat but gobbled it up as soon as they got back.
Some of the other inhabitants of the zoo were much more
friendly. Begumcan the elephant (pron. "beg-um-jean") was
happy to eat his slice of cake straight from Santa's hand.
Tangul Kahraman, Chief veterinarian at the zoo, said that
although there were some concerns with Santa's visit -- all
worked out well in the end.
"When he started feeding them, they loved him," she said.
Another lucky recipient of Santa's sack was the tallest
animal in the zoo, Efe the giraffe, who also got some cake
from the bearded visitor before he left for a well deserved
rest so he could prepare for his busiest night of year -
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None