- Title: BELGIUM: GIANT SAND DINOSAURS DOMINATE SCULPTURE FESTIVAL IN ZEEBRUGGE.
- Date: 11th August 2001
- Summary: (U4) ZEEBRUGGE, BELGIUM (AUGUST 1 & 9, 2001)(REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. BEACH AT ZEEBRUGGE. 2. CLOSE-UP OF HAND WORKING ON A SCULPTURE 3. MAIASAURA DINOSAUR. 4. SCULPTURES ON THE BEACH. 5. DETAIL OF THE PTEROSAURUS. 6. PTEROSAURUS BEING BUILT. 7. CLOSE-UP OF A FANCY DINOSAUR. 8. WIDE OF FANCY CREATION. 9. TYRANNOSAURUS-REX OVERVIEWING HIS GARDEN. 10. HEAD OF T-REX. 11. WIDE OF T-REX. 12. INSTRUMENTS OF WORK. 13. WIDE OF STEGOSAURUS. 14. WIDE OF GROUP OF DINOSAURS. 15. CLOSE-UP OF ANOTHER FANCY CREATION. 16. ZOOM OUT FROM THE SAND TO A WIDE OF THE DINOSAUR ON THE TOP OF HIS HILL. 17. (SOUNDBITE) (English) ARTISTIC LEADER DAVE WILLE SAYING: "One of the people of the public told us that it is almost looks like really big excavations of dinosaurs, like they were already lying on the beach. So that was really a big compliment for us and that makes all the work worth while." 18. ZOOM OUT FROM THE HILL WITH T-REX TO THE WATER. 19. SCULPTOR WORKING ON THE HAND OF ELVISSAURUS 20. SCULPTORS ON THE ELVISSAURUS. 21. T-REX AT NIGHT. 22. CLOSE-UP OF BRONTOSAURUS. 23. WIDE OF BRONTOSAURUS. 24. FANTASY SCENE OF THE METEORITETOPS. 25. VARIOUS OF THE FIREWORKS WITH DINOSAURUS ENJOYING IT! Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 26th August 2001 13:00
- Location: ZEEBRUGGE, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Reuters ID: LVA8POJIXRSN4GQUDBEIMD22DC51
- Story Text: Dinosaurs have left the darkness of Belgian film
theatres and made their way to the beach in Zeebrugge to
enjoy the sun!
This summer truly enormous visitors are lying on the
beach in Zeebrugge enjoying the sun and the sea for Dinosaurs,
Giants on the Beach is the theme for the fifth annual Sand
Anyone walking on the beach in recent days would have
observed a great deal of activity. Bulldozers and mobile
cranes have been amassing sand which will form the basis for
the gigantic sand sculpture being built. Topping
this mountain is special sculpting sand which has been brought
by ship from the Netherlands for constructing the tall sand
In total, some 8. 3 million kilos of sand are being used,
of which 2. 5 million is sculpting sand.
A trip through prehistory with gigantic company is how a
visit to this years Sand Sculpture Festival could be
What we believe we know about these titans from prehistory
is being portrayed in sand by Inaxi, Holland's sand artist
together with foreign colleagues. About seventy artists have
been working on 28 different creations.
Dave Wille, leader of the artists said, "One of the people
of the public told us that it is almost looks like really big
excavations of dinosaurs, like they were already lying on the
beach. So that was really a big compliment for us and that
makes all the work worth while."
The gigantic sand sculpture has a total lengh of 80 metres
(262 feet) and a width of 60 metres (197 feet). Its tallest
point gives pride of place to a migthy Tyrannosaurus Rex
reaching up some 14 metres (46 feet), gazing like a king over
his dinosaur realm.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None