- Title: IRAQ: RED CRESCENT SENDS AID TO SAMARRA AFTER 36 HOURS OF FIGHTING
- Date: 3rd October 2004
- Summary: (W5) BAGHDAD, IRAQ (OCTOBER 3, 2004) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. WIDE OF EXTERIOR OF THE BUILDING OF IRAQI RED CRESCENT SOCIETY/ TRUCK OUTSIDE 0.06 2. VARIOUS OF EMPLOYEE OF SOCIETY PUTTING RED CROSS STICKER ONTO TRUCK 0.16 3. WIDE OF FORKLIFT TRUCK CARRYING SHIPMENT OF SUPPLIES LOADING BOXES ONTO TRUCK 0.22 4. SLV UNICEF BOXES BEING LOADED ONTO TRUCK 0.31 5. SLV SUPPLIES BEING PLACED INSIDE TRUCK 0.36 6. WIDE OF SUPPLIES INSIDE TRUCK 0.40 7. SLV RED CRESCENT EMPLOYEES UNLOADING BOXES AND PLACING THEM INSIDE TRUCK 0.51 8. WIDE OF BOXES OF SUPPLIES ON FORKLIFT TRUCK/ EMPLOYEE LIFTING BOXES OF SUPPLIES 0.59 9. SCU SOUNDBITE (Arabic) MAZIN ABDULLA, HEAD OF RELATIONS DEPARTMENT AT IRAQI RED CRESCENT SOCIETY, SAYING: "Emergency and first aid teams have set up a camp outside Samarra city in a safe place between Samarra city and al-Dour to provide basic medical requirements and to send first aid supplies and ambulances to the city to help evacuate the wounded for treatment outside the city." 1.21 10. SLV OF BACK OF TRUCK BEING CLOSED 1.28 11. WIDE OF EXTERIOR OF RED CRESCENT BUILDING/ CONVOY OF VEHICLES LEAVING BUILDING FOLLOWED BY AMBULANCES 1.49 12. CLOSE OF EXTERIOR OF SOCIETY WITH SIGN READING "IRAQI RED CRESCENT SOCIETY, THE GENERAL HEADQUARTERS" 1.54 13. SLV TRUCK CARRYING AID SUPPLIES LEAVING 2.00 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 18th October 2004 13:00
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA8WC8RSR2K0FQLEDK27SIQE8RJ
- Story Text: The Red Crescent has sent aid to Samarra after 36
hours of intensive fighting.
The Red Crescent in Baghdad has sent aid supplies to
Samarra on Sunday (October 3) to help the wounded after
U.S. and Iraqi forces pounded the city for almost two days.
The shipment was offered by the International Committee
of the Red Crescent (ICRC) and United Nations' Children
According to Mazin Abdullah, head of Relations
Department at the Iraqi Red Crescent society the ICRC
provided 100 first aid kits, while the UNICIEF provided 86
kits including boxes of bandages and other medical supplies.
Abdullah added that the society has set up a camp
outside Samarra city to provide medical treatment for the
"Emergency and first aid teams have set up a camp
outside Samarra city in a safe place between Samarra city
and al-Dour to provide basic medical requirements and to
send first aid supplies and ambulances to the city to help
evacuate the wounded for treatment outside the city," he
According to Abdullah the shipment was the second to be
sent by the society in two days. On Saturday the society
sent a shipment of food stuff to the city of Samarra
including canned food, rice, cooking oils and bottles of
The military declared victory in Samarra after battling
hundreds of guerillas in the first step to wrest control
from rebels before the January election.
Around 3,000 U.S. troops, backed by a 2,000-strong
Iraqi force, and supported by fighter jets and artillery,
stormed Samarra, 100 km (60 miles) north of Baghdad, on
Friday, determined to rid the city of an estimated 1,000
In 36 hours of fighting, often street-to-street, the
U.S. military said it killed 125 guerrillas and seized 88.
Residents said many bodies were left lying in the roads,
hospital workers too overburdened or fearful to collect
them. Samarra hospital was also full of wounded men, women and
children, including one woman who had to be induced after
being shot at by U.S. soldiers.
The Red Crescent is sending medical equipment and first
aid supplies to a refugee camp set up for people who have
fled the fighting in Samarra.
Red Crescent co-ordinator, Mazen Abdallah, said the
supplies also included ambulances.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None