- Title: FRANCE: FRANCE PREPARES FOR WORLD CUP QUALIFYING MATCH
- Date: 30th August 2005
- Summary: CLAIREFONTAINE, NEAR PARIS, FRANCE (AUGUST 30, 2005) (REUTERS) 1. PLAN ACROSS TEAM POSING FOR GROUP PICTURE 2. CLOSE VIEWS OF PLAYER ZINEDINE ZIDANE AND COACH RAYMOND DOMENECH 3. VIEW OF FRENCH TEAM 4. PLAYERS LEAVE AFTER PHOTO SESSION 5. DOMENECH GETTING READY FOR NEWS CONFERENCE 6. SOUNDBITE (French) DOMENECH SAYING: "The group is aware of the challenges it is going to face, as it has always been. The match against Ivory Coast didn't change anything. We must win the coming matches. We are still going to, nothing has changed. We only care about our performance in the next four matches, of our qualification. That's all." 7. VIEWS OF PLAYERS TRAINING 8. SOUNDBITE (French) DOMENECH SAYING: "We must win the four matches in order to qualify. Ireland, Faroe, Switzerland and Cyprus are exactly the same for us. They are all worth three points. We have no right to take one more seriously than the others." 9. VIEWS OF PLAYERS TRAINING 10. CLOSE VIEW OF PLAYER SYLVAIN WILTORD TRAINING 11. SOUNDBITE (French) PLAYER DJIBRIL CISSE SAYING: "A new season has started with the arrival of the three new players. It is really good for us and I think it's a great reinforcement adding confidence and quality." 12. CLOSE VIEWS OF PLAYER LILIAN THURAM TRAINING 13. VIEWS OF ZIDANE DURING TRAINING SESSION 14. VIEWS OF COACH DOMENECH 15. PLAYERS TRAINING 16. PLAYER THIERRY HENRY DURING TRAINING SESSION Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 14th September 2005 13:00
- Location: CLAIREFONTAINE, NEAR PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVA90WMIEAN311X2ZQLRGM2T1FBZ
- Story Text: France prepare for their World Cup qualifying match
against the Faroe Islands.
France's national soccer team trained in
Clairefontaine, south of Paris, on Tuesday (August 30, 2005)
ahead of the 2006 World Cup qualification matches against
Faroe Islands and Ireland in the next days.
Coach Raymond Domenech, whose team need to win their
last 4 preliminary matches in order to qualify for the
World Cup, said his players were focused on their next
performances following an impressive 3-0 victory in a
friendly against Ivory Coast ten days ago.
"The group is aware of the challenges it is going to
face in the next two matches as it has always been. The
match against Ivory Coast didn't change anything," Domenech
told a news conference after the training session.
Ireland, holding the first position in the Group 4 of
World Cup's qualification tournament, play France in Dublin
next Wednesday (September 7). But Domenech said he was not
taking this match more seriously than the one against Faroe
Islands, which lost its previous match against France last
year and is now last of the group.
"Ireland, Faroe, Switzerland or Cyprus are exactly the
same for us. They are all worth 3 points. We don't have any
right to take one less seriously than the others," said
In a last effort to win the points the team needs to
qualify for the World Cup, Domenech has welcomed back three
senior players who had left the national team after several
years: Lilian Thuram, Claude Makelele and France's most
beloved soccer champion Zinedine Zidane.
"A new season has started with the arrival of the 3 new
really good for us and I think it is a great reinforcement
adding confidence and quality."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None