- Title: TURKEY: FOUR PEOPLE DIE IN FLASH FLOODS IN CITY OF IZMIR
- Date: 1st August 2001
- Summary: IZMIR, TURKEY (AUGUST 1, 2001) (REUTERS) 1. SLV TREES FELLED BY STORM LYING IN ROAD/ SCU DAMAGE TO TREES (3 SHOTS) 0.17 2. SLV WOMAN WADING ACROSS FLODDED STREET 0.25 3. SLV YOUNG WOMEN WADING THROUGH FLOOD WATERS WITH PLASTIC BAGS ROUND THEIR FEET /SCU OF FEET IN PLASTIC (2 SHOTS) 0.34 3. WIDE OF SHOPKEEPERS TRYING TO KEEP FLOOD WATERS OUT OF THEIR SHOPS 0.42 4. SCU SHOP DOOR WAY PARTLY BOARDED UP IN ATTEMPT TO PREVENT FLOOD WATER ENTERING PREMISES 0.46 5. MV MAN VAINLY TRYING TO KEEP FLOOD WATERS FROM ENTERING SHOP BY TRYING TO SWEEP WATER AWAY 0.54 6. WIDE /PAN OF FLOODED STREETS AND TRAFFIC TO SHOPS 1.01 7. SLV UPTURNED CAFE TABLES BEING USED AS A FLOOD BARRIER TO PREVENT WATER ENTERING 1.06 8. SCU WOMEN LOOKING THROUGH RESTAURANT WINDOW ON TO THE FLOODED STREET 1.11 9. SMV PEOPLE IN BACK OF TRUCK DRIVING ALONG FLOODED STREET 1.17 10. WIDE OF POLICE CAR/ PAN TO PEOPLE CROSSING FLOODED STREET 1.29 11. VARIOUS, OF MAN STANDING IN FLOODED STREET WATCHING TRAFFIC TRYING TO DRIVE PAST (2 SHOTS) 1.46 12. WIDE OF TRAFFIC DRIVING THROUGH FLOOD WATERS AS PEOPLE WATCH 1.47 13. SLV PEOPLE WATCHING FROM STEPS OF BUILDING 1.52 14. WIDE OF TRAFFIC IN STREET/ PAN TO PEOPLE TRYING TO SWEEP FLOOD WATERS AWAY FROM BUILDING FRONTS (2 SHOTS) 1.59 15. SMV PEOPLE TRYING TO SWEEP WATER AWAY 2.04 16. SLV /SCU BROKEN OFFICE WINDOWS / GLASS ON GROUND (3 SHOTS) 2.19 17. SMV/ SLV MAN BALING OUT WATER FROM CAFE WITH BUCKET (2 SHOTS) 2.30 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 16th August 2001 13:00
- Location: IZMIR, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Reuters ID: LVA10FUT79ZNS1JCO4XPRW7JJ8T6
- Story Text: Four people have died in sudden flooding in the Aegean
port city of Izmir.
A strong hail storm and subsequent floods swept
Turkey's western port city of Izmir on Wednesday (August 1),
causing four deaths, local officials said on Thursday (August
Three people were electrocuted and another person died
after falling from a balcony due to the powerful wind, the
Meteorologists said the weather conditions were relatively
calm on Thursday after strong winds and a hail storm hit the
city on Wednesday afternoon.
The storm felled trees in the city and floods swept
through the ground floors of houses and apartment blocks.
Over 300 offices and homes were affected by the floods,
local authorities said.
Storm fronts over parts of Europe hit the city after
meteorologists warned of the risks of potential flooding in
the Aegean and Northern part of the country.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None