- Title: USA: MIKE TYSON RETIRES AFTER HIS DEFEAT BY KEVIN MCBRIDE
- Date: 11th June 2005
- Summary: WASHINGTON DC, UNITED STATES (JUNE 12, 2005) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) (STILL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE MUTE) 1. STILL PHOTOGRAPH OF MIKE TYSON PUNCHING KEVIN MCBRIDE 2. STILL PHOTOGRAPH OF TYSON ON THE CANVAS AFTER BEING KNOCKED 3. STILL PHOTOGRAPH OF TYSON SITTING ON THE CANVAS. 4. STILL PHOTOGRAPH OF MCBRIDE AFTER BEING DECLARED THE WINNER. 5. STILL PHOTOGRAPH OF MCBRIDE WITH IRISH FLAG. 6. WIDE OF NEWS CONFERENCE 7. (SOUNDBITE)(English) MCBRIDE SAYING "I felt I was getting stronger as the night went on...you try a few rough tactics, you know that's boxing...heavyweight boxing. I think he was trying to break my arm but I have a strong arm and two great trainers. It was a great team. I came here to fight. I showed everybody that I'm a warrior. I'd like to thank my mother and my father, the first man to show me how to make a fist. I dreamt about this fight and you know you dream about something enough and believe in it enough it will happen." 8. (SOUNDBITE)(English) MCBRIDE SAYING: "I'm an Irish warrior. I proved it tonight. I ain't the fastest man in the world but I've got a big heart and like you say, I'm not Muhammad Ali, but I'm Kevin McBride and I'm going to be the first Irish-born heavyweight champion of the world and I want to fight Klitschko, Johnny Ruiz and anybody who will give me the chance." 9. (SOUNDBITE)(English) TYSON SAYING: "Kevin fought a good fight. I just don't have this in my gut anymore. I wasn't really interested. I wanted to finish up but Jeff Fenech is too sensitive and he wasn't interested in me going out and getting beat up anymore. It's just not in my heart anymore. Me starting out you have to understand I'm from Brownsville, Brooklyn, I have wealthy children but I'm broke and it's very difficult to fight when you're in that kind of a situation." 10. (SOUNDBITE)(English) TYSON SAYING "I don't know, I'm going to look into my missionary work. There's no Islamic missionary work, I looked for that. There were some Christian missionary work that was interested in letting me come to Bosnia or Rwanda to go to various different countries to help with AIDS and food for people who are in dire need. I'm not interested in fighting no more. Listen I'm not trying to take anything from Kevin McBride. We know his record. We know his credentials and if I can't beat him I can't beat Junior Jones." 11. CUTAWAY Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 26th June 2005 13:00
- Location: WASHINGTON, DC, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA7PKR8N58GMTYZV6NHJR6L8WWH
- Story Text: Mike Tyson announces his retirement after losing to
Irish boxer Kevin McBride.
Little known Irishman Kevin McBride scored a
stunning upset victory over Mike Tyson on Saturday (June
11) after the former world heavyweight champion quit before
the seventh round of their non-title bout.
Following his third loss in four fights, the man who
burst onto the heavyweight scene in such explosive style
two decades ago declared that his career in the ring was
"This is it. I'm finished. It's just not in my heart,"
the 38-year-old Tyson told a post-fight news conference.
"I'm just not interested in fighting anymore."
Similar to his recent knockout defeats to Britons
Lennox Lewis and Danny Williams, the end of the bout came swiftly and
With Tyson gasping for air and becoming desperate, he
appeared to try to snap McBride's arm coming out of clinch
in the sixth round. Seconds later, he head-butted his Irish
opponent, delivering a cut to the Irishman's left eye.
Cortez deducted two points from Tyson although two
judges still had the American 57-55 ahead at the end of six
rounds while the third had McBride leading by the same
Despite the injury McBride continued to work inside,
pushing the flagging Tyson to the canvas as the round
Appearing unhurt but short of energy, Tyson staggered
to his corner and slumped on his stool where his cornermen
requested referee Joe Cortez to stop what could be his last
"I can't do this anymore," said Tyson, who was dejected
yet very calm at his news conference.
At 6ft-6ins and weighing in at 271 pounds, McBride was
seven inches taller and 38 pounds heavier than Tyson and
the size advantage took its toll as the bout progressed.
McBride's record improved to 33-4-1 with 28 knockouts
but Tyson is clearly the most impressive scalp on his
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None