- Title: ITALY: HEATWAVE LATEST.
- Date: 9th August 2003
- Summary: (EU) BOLOGNA, ITALY (AUGUST 7, 2003) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. NEARLY-DESERTED CENTRAL PIAZZA 2. WOMAN EATING AN ICE CREAM CONE 3. MAN POURING WATER OVER HIS HEAD AT FOUNTAIN 4. SUN BEATING DOWN ON FOUNTAIN 5. MAN READING BOOK ON EDGE OF FOUNTAIN 6. OLD MAN WALKING VERY SLOWLY 7. YOUNG CHILD DIPPING HIS HEAD IN FOUNTAIN 8. BOY PLAYING IN WATER 9. (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED TOURIST FROM NEW YORK SAYING: "We are coping but it's very hot. We are used to Fahrenheit not Centigrade so it was a shock when we found out it is as hot as it is. We didn't realise it was in the mid-to-high 90s." 10. VIRTUALLY-DESERTED PIAZZA (EU) ROME, ITALY (AUGUST 8, 2003) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 11. TOURIST SEATED NEXT TO HIS DOG OUTSIDE VATICAN MUSEUM 12. CLOSE-UP VIEW OF DOG 13. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PEPE FROM BARCELONA SAYING: "I try and find the shade but it's not easy. In the hotel it's ok with air conditioning but outside it's horrible. For my dog, he's not having a good time, he can't stay in the car - it's impossible." 14. DOG DRINKING WATER OUT OF A CUP 15. VIRTUALLY-EMPTY STREET 16. NUNS WALKING UNDER UMBRELLA 17. BOYS FILLING BOTTLES WITH WATER AT FOUNTAIN 18. (SOUNDBITE) (French) UNIDENTIFIED FRENCH TOURIST SAYING: "It's very hot." 19. TOURISTS TRAVELLING IN HORSE AND CARRIAGE Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 24th August 2003 13:00
- Location: BOLOGNA AND ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Reuters ID: LVA8VM2UGIJWYWFBMVHVSLRUNIRX
- Story Text: From the north to the south of Italy the thermometer
gauge keeps going up and up.
Many Italians have now escaped the cities for their
holiday vacations but for the remaining residents and
the high temperatures are making everyday activities
Tourists hugged the shady areas of the street in the
northern city of Bologna on Thursday (August 7) where
temperatures have reached over 35 degrees Celsius (95
degrees Fahrenheit). The suffocating air means everything
is done at a slower pace and a large part of the day is
taken up with dunking parts of your body into fountains.
"We are coping, but it's very hot," said a tourist from
New York watching his child stick his head in a fountain.
"We are used to Fahrenheit not Centigrade so it was a
shock when we found out it is as hot as it is. We didn't
it was in the mid-to-high 90s," he said.
Further south in Rome, temperatures reached over 36
degrees Centigrade on Friday (August 8) and in the hottest
part of the day streets appeared to be nearly deserted.
The usual queue of tourists outside the Vatican museums
has become a bedraggled mass of over-heated humanity.
"I try and find the shade but it's not easy," said Pepe
"In the hotel it's ok with air conditioning but outside
it's horrible. For my dog, he's not having a good time, he
stay in the car - it's impossible," Pepe said as his dog
drank some fresh water from a cup.
"It's very hot," said a young French boy as he poured a
bottle of water over his head.
For some tourists they just have to go one step further
- braving the hot temperatures on a horse and carriage
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None