- Title: RUSSIA: ANNUAL MOSCOW BEER FESTIVAL
- Date: 23rd July 2001
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (JULY 21, 2001)(REUTERS) 1. DECORATIVE BEER WAGONS DRIVE PAST KREMLIN 2. BEER WAGONS DRIVE PAST CHRIST THE SAVIOUR CATHEDRAL 3. BEER WAGONS ENTER STADIUM FULL OF CHEERING PEOPLE 4. VLADIMIR LENIN, KARL MARX, AND JOSEF STALIN LOOK-ALIKES MARCHING IN BEER PARADE 5. VARIOUS BEER PARADE 6. MAYOR OF MOSCOW, YURI LUZHKOV, IN RUSSIAN FOLK COSTUME TAPPING FIRST BEER KEG TO OPEN FESTIVAL 7. FOLK DANCERS 8. VARIOUS OF PEOPLE DANCING AND DRINKING BEER 9. (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) MAN ATTENDING FESTIVAL, SERGEI: "I came from Ukraine just for this festival. This is great." 10. PEOPLE LISTENING TO MUSIC 11. COUPLE KISSING AND HUGGING 12. PEOPLE DANCING TO MUSIC 13. (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) WOMAN ATTENDING FESTIVAL, VALERIYA "Everyone is happy and satisfied and getting along." 14. PEOPLE STRETCHED OUT ON THE GRASS WITH A PILE OF BEER MUGS 15. COUPLE SITTING ON BENCH DRINKING BEER 16. PEOPLE DRINKING BEER IN PARK 17. PEOPLE LEAVING 2.57 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 7th August 2001 13:00
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Reuters ID: LVA8RVDS24EJCN99UX1U6FF4Y9KI
- Story Text: Thousands of Russians have been attending the annual
beer festival in Moscow.
For the next nine days, Moscow will be bringing in the
beer wagons and drinking them dry. Not known as a people to
resist a good drink, Russian festival-goers are expected to
down 5 million litres of good cheer during the celebrations.
Moscow officials have teamed up with Bavarian delegations
to add international culture to the festival - but the beer is
still the most important part.
Over 20 different local breweries will be pouring their brew and
trying to win loyalty in a booming Russian beer market.
Beer production has jumped over 27 percent in the last
year according to government officials and beer revenues
remain a staple good in the spluttering Russian economy.
High temperatures and bright sunshine only seemed to fuel
thirst at the festival opening.
The festival is set to end on July 29 with award
ceremonies for the best brews.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None