- Title: SWITZERLAND: WORLD CUP HOLDERS BRAZIL ARRIVE TO DEFEND TITLE.
- Date: 17th May 1974
- Summary: 1. GV Plane taxiing into airport. 0.03 2. GV Onlookers on airport building. 0.05 3. SV Brazilian team down steps of aircraft. (3 shots) 0.26 4. GV Photographers. 0.27 5. GV Brazilian team pose for photographs. (2 shots) 0.32 6. SV Brazilian player handed flowers. 0.37 7. SV AND GV Players walking towards coach. (2 shots) 0.45 8. CU PAN OF "Brazil" legend on coach PAN TO players getting on coach. 0.48 9. GV PAN Coach leaving airport. 0.58 Initials VS 16.36 VS 16.50 SPORT: SOCCER Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 1st June 1974 13:00
- Location: BASEL, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Reuters ID: LVAN7JVG8GVNESWZSBUQ9K0YRUO
- Story Text: The Brazilian World Cup soccer squad arrived in Switzerland on their way to their West German training camp in the Black Forest on Friday (17 May).
There was a large crowd at Basel-Mulhouse Airport to greet the holders of the coveted World Trophy. Naturally, a big contingent of pressmen and photographers were present to meet the team who played so well to win the World Cup four years ago, but who have not shown anything like that form in recent matches.
According to their physical training instructor, Admildo Chirol, this squad id much fitter than the one which gave a poor farewell showing in their match against Paraguay on 12 May.
Although they won 2-0 the 95,000 spectators booed the world champions off the field after the Paraguayan side held them to a scoreless second half.
SYNOPSIS: Arriving to defend their World Cup title, twenty-two Brazilian soccer starts. The squad landed in Switzerland on Friday at Basel's Mulhouse Airport before going on to their training camp in West Germany's Black Forest. A big crowd, including a large press contingent, were there to greet the reigning champions. According to a Brazilian team spokesman, this squad is in perfect physical shape - much more fit than the side which, in its farewell match before a ninety-five-thousand home crowd, disappointingly beat a weak Paraguayan side by only two goals to nil.
The Brazilian players have got to pull something out of the bag to get back their world-class fire. In the match against Paraguay the visiting side held them to a goalless second half, much to the disgust of the crowd which booed them off the field.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None