- Title: FRANCE: GREEK SHIPPING MAGNATE, ARISTOTLE ONASSIS DIES IN PARIS HOSPITAL.
- Date: 15th March 1975
- Summary: 1. SV Gateway to American Hospital/people gathered outside (2 shots) 0.08 2. SV Hospital sign 0.10 3. SV Newsmen gathered outside hospital 0.16 4. SV Onassis Paris residence 0.22 5. SV People outside house 0.26 6. SV Entrance and people (2 shots) 0.40 7. SV Police outside 0.43 8. SV Maid closes door to entrance 0.53 Initials BB/0225 LT/PN/BB/0230 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 30th March 1975 13:00
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVA1AG38IG1FGZINU1PVHBYVP4ZF
- Story Text: The Greek shipping magnate, Aristotle Onassis died in the American Hospital in Paris on Saturday (15 March) from bronchial pneumonia. He was 69.
Doctors said they could not control a pulmonary infection Mr. Onassis contracted since an operation to remove his gall bladder early last month.
Mr. Onassis was taken to the hospital in the Paris suburb of Neuilly on the seventh of last month for the gall bladder operation. He flew from Athens in his private jet.
Later medical bulletins also said he had been suffering for some time with a muscular disease which had affected his heart. The doctors said this lowered his resistance to infection and brought on the attack of bronchial pneumonia.
Great Secrecy surrounded Mr. Onassis' stay at the American Hospital, but a brief communique issued today said he died at 1.30 p.m., Paris time, from a broncho-pulmonary infection. The communique said his health deteriorated on Friday night, but he died without suffering.
Aristotle Onassis was born in Smyrna, Turkey and married the widow of the assassinated American President, John F. Kennedy, Jacqueline, in 1968.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None