- Title: UK: LONDON PARK IS THE SCENE OF MEDIEVAL- STYLE JOUSTING TOURNEY
- Date: 11th January 1971
- Summary: 1. LV Procession leaves 'Castle' headed by the 'Queen' on horseback 0.10 2. SV Knights rid out with their squires & lance bearers 0.34 3. CU Trumpeters, blowing fanfare 0.40 4. GV Knights arrive at arena 0.56 5. SV & CU Knights approach the Queen 1.07 6. LV Knights tilting, PAN on victor & 2nd pair of knights tilting 1.48 7. TV Spectators watch knights fighting with real swords until marshall intervenes 1.54 8. LV Knight loses lance & almost falls from horse during tilting 2.0 9. SV Spectators 2.0 10. SV Knight ride off to joust, knocks opponent off horse, then he is dragged from his own horse 2.30 11. SV Knights fighting on foot with sword and axe 2.35 12. SV Their squires, the marshall & other knights join in fight 2.40 13. SV One knight knocks other out and chivalrously steps in his face as he walks away from the injured man 2.51 Initials SGM/0227 SGM/0320 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 26th January 1971 13:00
- Location: London, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVA5ZUHT260KB52AYGNFIW2CIHAP
- Story Text: Medieval pageantry returned to present-day London on Saturday when a jousting tournament opened the 1971 Easter Festival at one of the city's most beautiful parks.
Syon Park is the home of the British National Exhibition of Gardening, and it made a perfect setting for the 'Knights' of the British Jousting Association, which was formed in 1970 and was a development from the British Jousting Society set up by two film stunt men.
The jousting pageant is traditionally a colourful occasion which had all the trappings of chivalry when royalty was present. Everyone dressed the part of create this effect on this Festival occasion, filmed by Visnews cameraman Bob Turner.
Not all was make-believe however, for the competition is in earnest in this modern jousting, and the horses more mobile than the heavyweights used in past centuries.
In 1971, English jousting still has its dangers, and its thrills.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None