- Title: IRAQ: LOOTERS CLEAN-OUT PALACE OF QUSAY HUSSEIN.
- Date: 5th May 2003
- Summary: (W4) BAGHDAD, IRAQ (MAY 5, 2003) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV/CU: EXTERIOR QSAY'S HOUSE SHOWING DAMAGE (2 SHOTS) 0.11 2. MV: LOOTERS TAKING PART OF FRONT GATE 0.15 3. GV/MV: FURNITURE BEING LOADED ON TRUCKS (3 SHOTS) 0.38 4. GV: LOOTERS, INDSIDE AND OUTSIDE OF PALACE (5 SHOTS) 1.06 5. GV/CU: DOCUMENTS (2 SHOTS) 1.16 6. CU: SOUNDBITE (English) UNIDENTIFIED MAN SAYING: "We are looking for something which will tell us who was the true owner of this palace, there are lots of palaces in this country and we don't know exactly who they belong to" 1.36 7. CU: DOCUMENTS (2 SHOTS) 1.44 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 20th May 2003 13:00
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA4ZY04M73MC9IXK860907A515K
- Story Text: Despite beefed-up policing organised by U.S. forces in
Baghdad, looters have rushed to empty the home of one of
Saddam Hussein's sons, soon after American troops vacated the
The Al Jaderiya neighbourhood, home to Saddam Hussein's
son Qsay's palatial residence, was once Baghdad's most
exclusive neighbourhood and closed to the public. Although the
U.S. army was earlier protecting the area, troops left on
Sunday (May 4) night.
As word spread on Monday (May 5), looters began ransacking
Qsay's home, helping themselves to everything they could
Earlier on Sunday American forces had deployed fresh Iraqi
police on Baghdad streets in new uniforms, but none were
spotted near the residence on Monday.
Much of the military security provided to important
buildings in the city is being lifted ahead of a new security
force deployment but there are not enough of them yet to
provide proper policing.
A 10-nation stabilisation force led by the United States,
Britain and Poland plans to fully deploy in Iraq by the end of
But lawlessness still rules in Baghdad with daily
instances of looting by day and shootings at night.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None