- Title: THAILAND: THAI BOXING -- A SCIENCE WITH MUSIC AND RITUAL AS WELL AS STRENGTH.
- Date: 11th July 1973
- Summary: 1. GV Boxers in ring ...prayers and meditation 0.05 2. SV Spectators 0.08 3. LV Boxers limbering up (2 shots) 0.19 4. SCU Guard 0.21 5. SCU & SV Boxers fighting (2 shots) 0.27 6. SCU Timekeeper rings bell 0.29 7. SV Boxer in corner with seconds 0.35 8. SV Spectators 0.38 9. SV & SCU Boxers fighting, including kick (3 shots) 0.56 10. SCU Timekeeper 0.58 11. SV Boxer kneels and prepares for new bout (3 shots) 1.10 12. SV Spectators 1.12 13. SV Boxing in progress, punching and kicking (3 shots) 1.28 14. Spectators 1.31 15. SV Boxers kicking and punching. One knocked down 1.39 16. SV Winner declared 1.49 Initials BB/2126 TA/PN/BB/2150 SPORT - BOXING Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 26th July 1973 13:00
- Location: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Reuters ID: LVA7XK3BMZY2FTI9F4RJIHVXSVSE
- Story Text: Thai boxing is one of the prides of the country as well as a national sport.
It offers a greater variety of entertainment than the boxing practised in the rest of the world. There is music, ritual and many more attacking blows for the contestants to use.
Thai boxing started as a means of self defence but now it is part sport, part science. It is still taught at military and police academies and Thais believe that only a Thai can kick, elbow and knee in such a manner.
In the old days kings and princes used to box. One Ayudyha king was so enthusiastic he travelled incognito to temple fairs to fight.
For luck, boxers sometimes w???r lu???tr???l thread around the head and charm rings around the biceps. A woman is never allowed to step into the canvas ring l???t her presence destroys the boxers' strength and skill.
A Thai boxer has a lot more to worry about than an ordinary boxer -- he can be hit with elbows, feet and knees as well as fists.
This match is in the Rajdamnern Stadium in Bangkok where fights are held twice a week.
SYNOPSIS: In Bangkok quiet prayers kick off one of the world's most violent sports -- Thai kick boxing.
The contestant performs a shadow boxing routine before every fight. Each boxing team has its shadow boxing style so experienced fans know where a fighter comes from.
A pipe, two drums and cymbals provide special ritual music. If the fight begins to drag the musicians try gingering it up with a faster tune.
Flying feet, elbows and knees are used as well as fists. Thais believe that only a Thai can deliver accurate blows in such a manner.
Thai youngsters practice kn???ing and kicking where and whenever they can. In the old days one Ayudyha king was so enthusiastic he would travel incognito to temple fairs to fight.
The referee and two judges keep score but the judges have to be seated well away from the audience's influence. Many locals jump up and down in their excitement all the way through the fight.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None