- Title: FRANCE: SOLAR POWER RAILWAY CROSSING BEING TESTED IN FRANCE
- Date: 20th September 1979
- Summary: 1. GV AND SV Train passing level crossing (2 SHOTS) 0.18 2. SV AND CU Level crossing showing solar panels (4 SHOTS) 0.32 3. GV Car crossing level crossing and sign showing automatic crossing (2 SHOTS) 0.38 4. GV AND SV EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR of solar panel junction box (3 SHOTS) 0.48 5. GV Crossing closing and train passing (3 SHOTS) 1.17 Initials CLM Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 5th October 1979 13:00
- Location: NEAR TOURS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVAEEYFGSFR22NGB0QPD1L0Z90CZ
- Story Text: French National Railways (SNCF) have installed a new solar powered level-crossing system on the Tours to Saumur line - another of the revolutionary ways the sun is being harvested as a source of energy.
SYNOPSIS: The installation of the solar powered level crossing is only an experiment. With the rising cost of petroleum products and France's reliance on nuclear, hydroelectric and thermal energy, the institution of solar powered electricity is something the French can use.
The system draws it power from one hundred and twenty photoelectric cells in the solar panels. The power is stored in batteries and, when needed used in the operation of the level crossing. People travelling on the Tours to Saumur line haven't noticed any difference in the operation of the service.
The introduction of the solar powered level crossings is a major development in the use of solar power. It has only been in operation since the beginning of July, and French railway officials say the operation of the automatic switcher has, although only experimental, saved some energy cost. Another solar powered level crossing is in operation in the southern French city of Montpellier.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None