- Title: EGYPT: PEOPLE'S ASSEMBLY DISCUSSES MOBILISATION OF ARAB RESOURCES FOR WAR.
- Date: 17th September 1973
- Summary: 1. GV People's Assembly H.Q. (2 shots) 0.08 2. CU Nasser bust 0.11 3. SV Badawy entering 0.14 4. SCU Abu Wafia and Badawy seated 0.26 5. GV Officials (5 shots) 0.38 6. SCU Badawy speaks in Arabic and applauded (5 shots) 1.30 Initials BB/1612 TH/PN/BB/1622 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 2nd October 1973 13:00
- Location: CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Reuters ID: LVA625CC21EDLTH8PQQKD1PUPA29
- Story Text: In the wake of last week's Middle East air battle, the question of mobilising Arab resources for war was discussed in Cairo at the weekend. The debate at the new political session of the People's Assembly on Saturday (September 15) was given added urgency by the presence of many Syrian observers.
During the opening address, People's Assembly Speaker Hafez Badawy declared that the Arab peoples had been subjected throughout history to many campaigns of treachery and imperialist designs. But they had battled through to victory as a result of unity. to this end, he welcomed the recent rapprochement of Jordan with the Arab bloc.
A common theme through all the early speeches was the need for unity in the confrontation with Israel, and for economic integration among Arab states.
SYNOPSIS: The first new session of the People's Assembly in Cairo at the weekend concentrated on the question of mobilising Arab resources for war. Last week's air battle between Israeli and Syrian aircraft had given a new sense of urgency to the debate -- and many Syrians had been invited to attend. During this opening session, speaker after speaker referred to the need for complete Arab unity in the confrontation with Israel, a unity that could best be achieved by greater political and economic co-operation.
The very first speech was made by the Assembly Speaker, Mr. Hafez Badawy.
During his address, Mr. Badawy declared that throughout history the lands of the Arab peoples had been jeopardised by imperialist strategies and treachery. But history also showed that the Arab nations could achieve great victory through uniting and closing their ranks. Welcoming guests at the session, he added it was essential for Egyptians to seek out the views of follow-Arabs about the Middle East struggle, which he referred to as a battle of destiny. As a step towards greater unity, Mr. Badawy welcomed the recent rapprochement of Jordan with the Arab bloc.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None