- Title: ITALY: ITALIANS VOTE FOR NAME OF WORLD CUP MASCOT
- Date: 17th April 1989
- Summary: Newspaper headlines on the referendum
- Embargoed: 2nd May 1989 13:00
- Location: Italy, Italy
- Country: Italy
- Topics: General,Sports
- Reuters ID: LVAD8U4X7DT4PJX9LXO0Z3GCMGMC
- Story Text: ROME, ITALY
June 9, 1990 will see the opening of the World Cup Finals in Milan, Italy and preparations in the twelve host cities are well under way. However, the Italians are having one problem, naming the mascot for the 14th tournament, the second finals to be held in Italy.
The Italian public have been given a chance to take part in the process and April 13 saw the first of a series of referenda which will finally decide the mascot's name. In a complicated series of votes the Italians will give their views on a whole host of names such as Ciao, Amico, Beniamino, Bimbo and Dribbly. The two most popular names will then have a straight fight in the final vote on June 25.
<strong>Source: REUTERS - Stara</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.