WEST BERLIN: MASSIVE TORCHLIGHT PROTEST AGAINST BERLIN WALL ON FIFTEENTH ANNIVERSARY.
- Title: WEST BERLIN: MASSIVE TORCHLIGHT PROTEST AGAINST BERLIN WALL ON FIFTEENTH ANNIVERSARY.
- Date: 14th August 1976
- Summary: GV Illuminated monument. CU AND GV Marchers lighting torches and setting off on procession. (2 shots) GV Police escorting procession. CU AND GVS Marchers with torches and banners through streets. (3 shots) Initials VS 15.15 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVABYZ4TCETD1QTUR4FKT256I9K4
- Location: WEST BERLIN
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:00:56
- Topics: General,Politics
- Story Text: Tension along the Berlin wall rose to its highest point for several years on the fifteenth anniversary of the building of the wall -- with ceremonies on both sides, and protests from Britain, France and the United States.
SYNOPSIS: It was 15 years ago on Friday that work began on what was to become the world's most notorious wall. It quickly divided families, friends, neighbours and communities, and finally the entire city. Friday night's torchlight demonstration on the western side of the wall was attended by thousands of Berliners, and by hundreds of West Germans who drove through East Germany in coachloads. But several hundred other West Germans were turned back by East German police.
Earlier in the evening, several thousand East German border guards and militia paraded on the other side of the wall to celebrate the anniversary. In a quick protest by Britain, France and the United States -- who with the Soviet Union, control Berlin -- the East German parade was denounced as a direct contradiction of the wartime and postwar agreements of the four powers. The western allies also called it a 'flagrant violation of the demilitarised status of Berlin'.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th August 1976 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None