ISRAEL: ISRAEL AND US AIR DEFENCE CREWS SHOOT DOWN IRAQI SCUD MISSILES/US SENATOR ALFONSIN D'AMATO VISITS AFFECTED AREAS WITH TEL AVIV MAYOR SHLOMO LAHATRecord ID: 677381
- Title: ISRAEL: ISRAEL AND US AIR DEFENCE CREWS SHOOT DOWN IRAQI SCUD MISSILES/US SENATOR ALFONSIN D'AMATO VISITS AFFECTED AREAS WITH TEL AVIV MAYOR SHLOMO LAHAT
- Date: 25th January 1991
- Summary: (VISNEWS) GV CARS BURNING IN STREETS SLV FIREMEN ATTEMPTING TO PUT OUT FIRES (2 SHOTS) WIDE VIEW OF CROWD, STEAM COMING OUT OF RUBBLE LV RESCUE WORKERS AT SCENE, BADLY DAMAGED BUILDING LV FIREMEN WITH ROPES CLAMBERING OVER RUBBLE DOG HANDLER, SNIFFER DOG, HUNTING FOR PEOPLE UNDER RUBBLE GV OF CRATER GV AMBULANCE ARRIVING AT HOSPITAL OLD MAN ON STRETCHER BEING TAKEN FROM AMBULANCE TO HOSPITAL LV OLD WOMAN ON STRETCHER BEING ATTENDED BY MEDICAL WORKERS LV MAN ON STRETCHER BEING ATTENDED BY MEDICAL WORKERS LV AMBULANCES ARRIVING CARRYING INJURED (JANUARY 26) (VISNEWS) DAYSHOTS) GV RUINED BUILDINGS GV PAN PEOPLE PACKING CLOTHING, GOODS INTO BAGS FROM RUBBLE SV JEWISH MEN WATCHING PEOPLE PICK UP THEIR BELONGINGS GV WRECKED BUILDING ZOOM TO WOMAN PICKING UP BELONGINGS IN WIRE BASKET (2 SHOTS) LV WOMAN CRYING AS SHE LOOKS AT RUBBLE (NBC) SV US SENATOR D'AMATO WITH TEL AVIV MAYOR SHLOMO LAHAT WALKING IN RUBBLE (3 SHOTS) SCU D'AMATO SPEAKING ABOUT HOW APPROPRIATE AN ATTACK ON SADDAM HUSSEIN WOULD BE (ENGLISH) I CERTAINLY THINK THAT SADDAM HUSSEIN HAS DEMONSTRATED ONCE AGAIN WHAT A TERRIBLE WAR CRIMINAL HE IS AND A STRIKE AGAINST HIM, AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED, WOULD BE VERY APPROPRIATE. "
- Reuters ID: LVA3N1M7FKHN0JPTPUG91WMQDCLA
- Location: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- Country: Israel
- Duration: 00:02:05
- Topics: Conflict,General
- Story Text: Israeli and United States (US) air defence crews shot down five out of seven Iraqi Scud missiles, fired at Tel Aviv on Friday (January 25) night.
The Scuds were shot down by US-supplied Patriot missiles, but the remaining missiles and falling debris demolished at least two houses several blocks from each other and caused damage for hundreds of metres around. At least one person was killed and 69 injured. Five Iraqi attacks on Israel over the past week have killed four people and wounded 200.
Army chief Dan Shomron said Israel stood by its policy of not retaliating immediately, looking for long-term political benefits for its restraint.
People whose homes were damaged, or destroyed, by the latest attack searched through the wreckage on Saturday (January 26) for clothing and anything else that could be salvaged.
US Senator Alfonso D'Amato visited the affected areas with Tel Aviv's Mayor Shlomo Lahat. D'Amato said Iraqi President Saddam Hussein had again demonstrated he was a terrible war criminal and that a strike against him would be appropriate.
Iraq has now fired a total of 20 Scuds in an attempt to draw the Jewish state into the Gulf War and undermine the Wester-Arab coalition, fighting to drive Saddam's occupation army from Kuwait.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:9th February 1991 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None