- Title: USA: Reality star Nicole Snooki Polizzi puts her Jersey Shore adventures on paper
- Date: 11th January 2011
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (JANUARY 10, 2011) (REUTERS) BOOK COVER (SOUNDBITE) (English) NICOLE "SNOOKI" POLIZZI, REALITY TELEVISION STAR AND AUTHOR, SAYING: "Well, I've been wearing the pouf since I was sixteen, so it's kind of like getting old. You know, I'm 23, I'm growing up. I'm mature. I want to do, like, a different look, but I don't think the pouf will ever be retired because I always say I'm never wearing it again and then the next day I wear it, so I think the pouf's getting a little too old, but I'm still going to rock it once in a while." BACK OF THE BOOK (SOUNDBITE) (English) NICOLE "SNOOKI" POLIZZI, REALITY TELEVISION STAR AND AUTHOR, SAYING: "We're all real people and we say what's on our mind and we say what other people don't want to say, and you know, we're just ourselves, so we're real. And I feel like people like that about us." BOOK COVER
- Reuters ID: LVAYMWBJGBK9NO9YL8R8YMTO9XE
- Location: Usa, Usa
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:53
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment / Showbiz
- Story Text: "Jersey Shore" star Nicole Polizzi is hoping to up her fame factor from reality television star to best-selling author.
The 23-year-old, better known by her nickname "Snooki," has just released her first novel "A Shore Thing."
The book tells the tale of a girl named Gia, a small guidette with a big pouf, looking for love on the boardwalk of the Jersey Shore. Gia and her cousin Bella encounter various fights and drama, crises which were modeled on MTV's hit show "Jersey Shore." And while it is fiction, many of the book's characters and scenarios are based on true events.
Polizzi says the novel's main characters are best friends, much like her bond with "Jersey Shore" cast member Jenni "JWoww" Farley.
"I think Jenni protects me with all her heart and you know, she loves me. I love her and you know, I protect her too," said Polizzi. "So I think I definitely wanted to show a true friendship in the book," said Polizzi.
"Jersey Shore" -- about the lives of young Italian-Americans in New Jersey -- is an MTV hit. But Polizzi doesn't believe television will stop people reading.
"People have a choice to read or watch TV and you know, obviously people would rather watch TV than, you know, sit down and actually read a book," said Polizzi. "So that's why I wrote this because it's just like my show, but you're reading it, so I'm actually bringing back reading."
In August, 2010, Polizzi was sentenced to community service after she was arrested for disorderly conduct in Seaside Heights, New Jersey while filming for the popular MTV series -- an incident she decided to include in her book.
"I definitely wanted to add the arrest because I got arrested and, you know, it's a scary thing, especially for a little 4-foot-9 girl, so I wanted to put it in the book, but kind of have like a silly side to it," said Polizzi. "I just wanted to kind of make, kind of like a joke out of it."
Gracing the cover of "A Shore Thing" with her signature pouf the reality star says her look is here to stay.
"I don't think the pouf will ever be retired because I always say I'm never wearing it again and then the next day I wear it, so I think the pouf's getting a little too old, but I'm still going to rock it once in a while," said Polizzi.
"Jersey Shore's" second season premiere, set in Miami, attracted 5.3 million viewers, a number which grew to 6.5 million in early September, delivering MTV's highest rated series telecast in more than eight years.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th January 2011 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None