JERUSALEM: French Foreign Minster Michele Alliot-Marie starts a five-day visit to the region
- Title: JERUSALEM: French Foreign Minster Michele Alliot-Marie starts a five-day visit to the region
- Date: 21st January 2011
- Summary: JERUSALEM (JANUARY 20, 2010) (REUTERS) ALLIOT-MARIE ARRIVING AT TENT, SET UP BY GILAD SHALIT'S PARENTS NOAM AND AVIVA SHALIT WAITING FOR ALLIOT-MARIE VARIOUS OF CHAIR RESERVED FOR GILAD SHALIT ONCE HE IS RELEASED ALLIOT-MARIE SPEAKING TO PARENTS MEDIA MORE OF MEETING EXTERIOR OF TENT ALLIOT-MARIE LEAVING TENT
- Reuters ID: LVAD03GH6JHU74CIAG72JAEQRQAV
- Location: Jerusalem, Jerusalem
- Country: Israel
- Duration: 00:00:46
- Topics: International Relations
- Story Text: French Foreign Minister Michele Alliot-Marie met with Israeli President Shimon Peres on Thursday (January 20) and visited the Yad Vashem Holocaust museum as a start to her five-day trip to the Middle East.
Alliot-Marie arrived at Peres' official residence in Jerusalem on Thursday morning, where the two held a private meeting.
After her meeting with the Israeli president, the French foreign minister visited Noam and Aviva Shalit, parents of kidnapped soldier Gilad Shalit, at their tent situated outside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's residence.
Later on Thursday, Alliot-Marie visited Israel's Yad Vashem Holocaust museum. She toured the museum's Hall of Names where pictures of some of the six million Jews killed by the Nazis in World War II are exhibited. She later laid a wreath in the Hall of Remembrance, where a memorial flame constantly burns to commemorate the dead.
Alliot-Marie's visit to Jerusalem opens her first tour of the region since taking office and is aimed at re-examining the long-stalled peace process and ways in which France can contribute to its revival.
Also on Thursday, Alliot-Marie is scheduled to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman. On Friday (January 21) she travels to the Hamas-run Gaza Strip before heading to Egypt and Jordan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:5th February 2011 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None