BRITAIN-GLITTER Former pop star Gary Glitter stands trial in London over historic child sex offences
- Title: BRITAIN-GLITTER Former pop star Gary Glitter stands trial in London over historic child sex offences
- Date: 12th January 2015
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (JANUARY 15, 2015) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF SOUTHWALK CROWN COURT EXTERIORS FORMER POP STAR GARY GLITTER WALKING INTO COURT (WEARING BLACK HAT) VARIOUS OF COURT BUILDING
- Reuters ID: LVAAYSU5O2B8HZK0PI0SJZZMYZ8D
- Duration: 00:00:32
- Topics: General
- Story Text: Former British glam rock singer, Gary Glitter arrived at Southwalk Crown Court on Monday (January 12) to stand trial for historic sex offences against three teenage girls.
He is accused of ten charges relating to alleged offences in the 1970's and 1980's. The charges include one count of attempted rape, seven of indecent assault, one of unlawful intercourse with a girl under 13.
The 70-year-old, whose real name is Paul Gadd, denies all the charges.
In November 2005 he was arrested at Ho Chi Minh airport as he tried to leave Vietnam and sentenced to three years in jail following a one-day trial where he pleaded not guilty to molesting two young girls.
Glitter shot to fame in the early 1970s with a bouffant hairstyle, make-up, high heels and "glam rock" stage performances. His hits included "Rock and Roll (Parts 1 & 2)" and "I Love You Love Me Love", "Do You Wanna Touch Me (Oh Yeah)" and "I'm the Leader of Gang (I am).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th January 2015 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None