- Title: USA: Artist's man-made waterfalls flow on New York City's shoreline
- Date: 29th June 2008
- Summary: (L!1) NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (JUNE 26, 2008) (REUTERS) BROOKLYN BRIDGE WITH WATERFALL UNDERNEATH BOAT PASSING WATERFALL
- Reuters ID: LVADNLXBLXYVN6OMLLDQWCORNX6G
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:35
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment / Showbiz
- Story Text: A two-year, estimated $15.5 million (USD) waterfall project by artist Olafur Eliasson is unveiled in New York City.
SCRIPT: New York City's East River now has waterfalls, at least man-made ones. The city's mayor, Michael Bloomberg, and artist Olafur Eliasson presented "The New York City Waterfalls" on Thursday (June 26), a
5 million USD art project comprised of four, 90 to 120 foot falls.
Constructed out of 220 tons of scaffolding, the structures took over two years to plan and build, with over twenty permits allotted for the groundbreaking project.
"New York's historic harbor has been turned into the most unexpected and intriguing waterfall destination between Niagara Falls and Victoria Falls" said Bloomberg.
Eliasson worked with over 70 designers, engineers and construction teams to complete the mammoth waterfalls. He said that, even with it's logistical challenges, he wanted this to be a 'green project.' The scaffolding, once the exhibition ends, will be reused for other projects. LED lights, protection for the river's aquatic life, as well as purchased energy credits contributed to keeping the exhibit Earth-friendly.
Eliasson said he hopes the Waterfalls project will open peoples' eyes to what environmental blueprints they leave on the their surroundings.
"An impact, really, is much easier to understand when you have a physical relationship with your surroundings, rather than just thinking about it,"
The New York City Waterfalls project will be on display until October 13th.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:14th July 2008 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None