FRANCE: President Nicolas Sarkozy calls for national unity after Toulouse shootingsRecord ID: 677534
- Title: FRANCE: President Nicolas Sarkozy calls for national unity after Toulouse shootings
- Date: 22nd March 2012
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MARCH 21, 2012) (REUTERS) PARIS LANDSCAPE WITH EIFFEL TOWER
- Reuters ID: LVA19KNILIES673Z5VZ0NCKEMOGS
- Location: France, France
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:00:05
- Topics: Crime,Politics
- Story Text: French President Nicolas Sarkozy said on Wednesday (March 21) that France should not give in to a desire for revenge after the shootings of a rabbi, three children, and three soldiers of North African origin.
"I have brought together the Jewish and Muslim communities to show that terrorism will not manage to break our nation's feeling of community," Sarkozy told reporters in a brief statement at the Elysee presidential palace.
"We must be united. We must give in neither to discrimination nor revenge."
The suspected gunman has been identified as Mohamed Merah, a 24-year-old Muslim man . Interior Minister Claude Gueant said he is a French citizen of Algerian origin who had been to Pakistan and Afghanistan and had carried out his killings in revenge for French military involvement abroad.
Sarkozy who is running for re-election in five weeks time made his remarks after far-right leader Marine Le Pen, a rival presidential candidate, said France should wage war on Islamic fundamentalism.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2012 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None