BOLIVIA: Dignitaries from Latin America and Europe start arriving in La Paz for President-elect Evo Morales' swearing-in ceremony.Record ID: 687480
- Title: BOLIVIA: Dignitaries from Latin America and Europe start arriving in La Paz for President-elect Evo Morales' swearing-in ceremony.
- Date: 22nd January 2006
- Summary: PRESIDENT CHAVEZ EXIST HIS LIMOUSINE; GREETS PEOPLE ON THE STREET (2 SHOTS)
- Reuters ID: LVA4I4BDGGBXR6CCODP9KX1V0D7Z
- Duration: 00:00:14
- Topics: International Relations,Domestic Politics
- Story Text: Dignitaries from Latin America and Europe began arriving in La Paz to attend Bolivian President-elect Evo Morales' swearing in ceremony on Sunday (January 22).
Spain's Prince Felipe de Asturias arrived on Saturday (january 21) at La Paz airport where he was greeted with full military honors and gifts from indigenous groups.
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez arrived at night and he proved to be a crowd's favourite among Bolivians who gathered along his motorcade route hoping to catch a glimpse of the controversial leader.
Upon his arrival in the Bolivan capital, Chavez told reporters what he sees as the future for the Americas.
"If you want to know what is the path to hell, take the path of capitalism and neo-liberalism and of the so-called neo-liberal globalization. So the triumph by Evo (Bolivian President-elect Morales) represents a strong thrust for change in South America, in the Americas and the universe, because we are at a time of universal mutation," said Chavez.
Colombian President Alvaro Uribe and Ecuadorian President Alfredo Palacio also landed in La Paz one day ahead of Evo Morales' swearing-in ceremony, making him the the first indigenous leader to become a president in the American continent.
Morales rose to prominence among the indigenous with his coca growers' protests against a U.S-funded war on drugs and eradication of the coca crop, the raw material used to make cocaine.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th February 2006 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None