- Title: MALAYSIA: A pair of Chinese pandas arrive in Malaysia
- Date: 22nd May 2014
- Summary: SEPANG, MALAYSIA (MAY 21, 2014) (REUTERS) MALAYSIA AIRLINES CARGO PLANE TAXIING ON RUNWAY REPORTERS WATCHING RUNWAY CARGO PLANE TAXIING ON RUNWAY PLANE PASSING THROUGH ARC OF WATER PLANE TAXIING PLANE LOGO BEARING PHOTO OF PANDA UNLOADING PLATFORM NEXT TO PLANE MEDIA FILMING PLANE EXIT HATCH LIFTING UP SECURITY GUARDS LOOKING ON BOX CONTAINING GIANT PANDAS BEING MOVED ONTO UNLOADING PLATFORM VARIOUS OF UNLOADING PLATFORM BRINGING BOXES DOWN TO RUNWAY MAN WATCHING FROM OUTSIDE TO SEE GIANT PANDAS MALAYSIAN AIRLINES CARGO BUILDING AIRPORT STAFF DRIVING CAGES AWAY PEOPLE LOOKING ON AIRPORT STAFF TAKING NETTING OFF CAGES GIANT PANDA IN CAGE MEMBERS OF PUBLIC LOOKING ON
- Embargoed: 6th June 2014 13:00
- Location: Malaysia
- Country: Malaysia
- Topics: Environment
- Reuters ID: LVA7GYF14LOQ0Z3V7DHUZ3D9XPVQ
- Story Text: A pair of giant pandas arrived in Malaysia on Wednesday (May 21) from Chengdu, China, to begin a 10-year stint in the country.
The pandas, known as Fu Wa and Feng Yi, are on loan from China as part of a giant panda conservation research project signed between Putrajaya, Malaysia and Beijing in 2012.
Malaysian media said they were initially scheduled to arrive in April as part of China's "panda diplomacy" marking 40 years of diplomatic relations between the two countries. However, it was postponed due to criticism, from Chinese relatives and the Beijing government, over Malaysian authorities' handling of the disappearance of flight MH370.
The pandas are set be housed inside a $7.76 million specially built, climate-controlled complex in the Malaysia National Zoo, where researchers hope their presence will raise awareness about wildlife and environmental protection. The upkeep of the pandas will cost the country a million dollars per year.
The pandas will be quarantined for a month before they are displayed to the public.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None