- Title: SERBIA/FILE: Police hunt Mladic in Serbian town
- Date: 11th November 2008
- Summary: (W3) MOUNT OZREN, BOSNIA HERZEGOVINA (FILE - MAY 19, 1994) (REUTERS) RATKO MLADIC WALKING UP HILLSIDE WITH SERB SOLDIERS MLADIC AND SERB OFFICER POINTING TO FRONT LINE MLADIC AND BOSNIAN SERB LEADER RADOVAN KARADZIC LOOKING AT FRONT LINE MLADIC
- Embargoed: 26th November 2008 12:00
- Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement,Conflict
- Reuters ID: LVA74B9W1YP963TB7IXMWGEBCQ2O
- Story Text: Hunt for Ratko Mladic, wanted on genocide charges, centres on Serbian town.
Serbian police began a search in the central town of Valjevo on Monday (November 10) for fugitive Bosnian-Serb general Ratko Mladic, whose arrest is the key for country's European Union accession, local media reported.
Serbia said last week that the search had been intensified.
B92 radio reported that a thorough police action to arrest Ratko Mladic and his helpers is currently underway, quoting police sources.
Special police units began a search of the "Vujic Valjevo"
windows factory, a business believed to have been part of Mladic's support network.
The private homes of the factory's owners have also been blocked by police, according to Serbian Television.
Mladic, the commander of the Bosnian-Serb forces in the 1992-95 Bosnia war, was indicted in 1995 on genocide charges for the 43-month siege of Sarajevo and for orchestrating the Srebrenica massacre of about 8,000 Muslims.
Serbia had hoped that the July arrest of Radovan Karadzic would boost the country's EU aspirations, but the 27-nation bloc said Mladic must be arrested also.
The Hague Chief War Crimes Prosecutor Serge Brammertz is expected to visit Serbia next week to report on the Balkan country's progress in the hunt for Mladic and a second war crimes fugitive, Goran Hadzic.
Mladic, last seen in 1999, hid in Serbian army facilities until 2002, and later moved around several apartments in Belgrade's New Belgrade district.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None