- Title: LEBANON: THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE COMMEMORATE PALESTINE MARTYRS' DAY.
- Date: 8th January 1982
- Summary: LEBANON: Beruit SV PLO leader Yasser marching past guard of honour 0.10 SV Martyrs' graves in cemetery 0.15 SV Women dancing holding rifles and photographs of the dead 0.29 SV Arafat laying wreath at Martyrs' monument 0.42 GV Crowd in cemetery 0.46 SV Arafat taking salute and shouting slogans in remembrance of the martyrs 1.13 SV ZOOM OUT Flame of remembrance TO crowd 1.22 GV Troops clearing crowd as Arafat leaves, shaking hands with crowd (2 shots) 1.46
- Embargoed: 23rd January 1982 12:00
- Location: Lebanon, Lebanon
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVADXYAZMI4975AHLYODJFDFW4QM
- Story Text: BEIRUT, LEBANON
Thousands of people commemorated Palestine Martyrs' day in the Palestinian cemetery in West Beirut on Thursday (7 January). The annual service is held in memory of the guerrillas and civilians who have died in the protracted fight for Palestinian autonomy. Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) leader Yasser Arafat laid a wreath at the Martyrs' Monument and vowed that their deaths would not be in vain. The Palestinians suffered particularly heavy losses last year during a spate of Israeli attacks on Southern Lebanon. Over 2,000 people died in violence in Lebanon during 1981 -- 500 of them during actions involving Palestinian commandos and Israeli forces in South Lebanon and in Israeli air raids against Beirut last July.
<strong>Source: REUTERS - MOHAMMAD AWWAD</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None