- Title: RUSSIA: Passengers escape wildfires
- Date: 4th August 2010
- Summary: TAMBOLES, NIZHEGORODSKAYA REGION, RUSSIA (JULY 29, 2010) (AMATEUR VIDEO) VIEW OF TAMBOLES VILLAGE ON FIRE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN CAR DRIVING THROUGH BURNING VILLAGE, SWEARING AS THEY TRYING TO LEAVE AREA CLOUD OF SMOKE, CARS ON ROAD DRIVING THROUGH BURNING VILLAGEs
- Embargoed: 19th August 2010 13:00
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes
- Reuters ID: LVAC9GA2AZE6DHPCQ2OPHWLUGA5B
- Story Text: Dramatic video obtained by Reuters shows a car passing through the burning Russian village of Tamboles last Thursday (July 29), driving as the fire rages around them.
The four car passengers were volunteers who came to the village in the Nizhny Novgorod region to help fire-fighters.
They were told when they arrived at the village the road was safe but everything changed within half an hour.
They tried to flee on the only highway passing through Tamboles and got caught in the middle of the firestorm.
Swearing as fire was raged around their vehicle, their vehicle hit another car as they reversed to escape.
The ordeal lasted for about 5 minutes in total before the car found its way out of the area.
More than 150 houses out of 250 in Tamboles were burned.
Russia's leaders declared a state of emergency on Monday (August 2) in seven provinces and ordered authorities to guard weapons storage facilities from wildfires that have killed at least 40 people.
Thousands more have lost their homes to the fires which have been stoked by Russia's worst heatwave since the tsarist era.
- Copyright Holder: AMATEUR VIDEO (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None