- Title: GERMANY: Scores of firemen battle blaze at Berlin Philharmonic building
- Date: 21st May 2008
- Summary: (EU) BERLIN, GERMANY (FILE: SEPTEMBER 16, 2001) (REUTERS) ORCHESTRA WALKING ON TO STAGE AUDIENCE WATCHING ORCHESTRA STANDING AS CONDUCTOR CHRISTIAN THIELEMANN WALKS ON TO STAGE FOR MEMORIAL CONCERT FOR VICTIMS OF 9/11 BOMBINGS VARIOUS OF CONCERT
- Embargoed: 5th June 2008 13:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes
- Reuters ID: LVA46YWGHDS19OWX95MQJT5YTW7L
- Story Text: Scores of firefighters battled a blaze at the home of the Berlin Philharmonic orchestra that broke out during a public performance on Tuesday (May 20).
Around 170 firefighters and over 30 vehicles were at the scene trying to extinguish the fire, which broke out during rehearsals open to the public, a fire brigade spokesman said.
Musicians and visitors to the yellow Philharmonic building near the city centre had escaped and were no longer in danger, he said, saying there had been no reports of any injuries.
"We are in the process of cooling the rooftop with water which is difficult enough at heights like these: our ladders are only 30 metres long but now we are using our very long ladder which is 50 metres long,"
Berlin fire department spokesman Jens-Peter Wilke told reporters.
The orchestra, which was founded over 120 years ago, has long been regarded as one of the world's most prestigious.
Britain's Simon Rattle is currently the principal conductor.
A pall of smoke was billowing from the roof of the building, a controversial design by Hans Scharoun that was completed in 1963. It is widely regarded as having some of the best acoustics of any concert hall.
The area surrounding the building has been cordoned off.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.