- Title: LEBANON: AFTERMATH OF BEIRUT FIGHTING BETWEEN AMAL AND BAATH PARTY SUPPORTERS.
- Date: 6th December 1981
- Summary: BEIRUT, LEBANON 4 DECEMBER, 1981 REUTERS - TEWFIC GHAZZAWI 1. GV Debris-littered street and soldier walking with firearm. 0.06 2. GV TILT DOWN Damaged building and broken windows. (2 SHOTS) 0.18 3. SV Soldier in street. 0.21 4. SV Posters of religious leaders, including Ayatollah Khomeini. 0.24 5. GV PANS Damaged cars. (3 SHOTS) 0.45 6. SV Soldier on street inspecting car ZOOM OUT TO GV high rise buildings. 0.53 7. GV PAN Rubble in street. 1.04 8. GV Troops in parked truck and truck with troops on board drives past. 1.14 Initials JS Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 21st December 1981 12:00
- Location: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Reuters ID: LVA6N624IAJJTH2W1YXHDZ7VDCT8
- Story Text: INTRODUCTION: One person was killed and three others wounded when a bomb exploded on Thursday (3 December) near a Beirut office of the Moslem Shi'ite Militia movement, Amal.Lebanese security sources say the bomb was hidden in a rubbish can in the southern suburb of Shiyah, and exploded as cleaners were emptying it.
SYNOPSIS: At about the same time, a second bomb exploded near another Amal office in West Beirut, and the blast was followed by the sound of gunfire.Throughout that night (Thursday) there were sporadic clashes between supporters of Amal and, according to the security reports, members of the pro-Iraqi Baath Party.
Later, Baath Party sources said their followers were not involved.
The West Beirut fighting was concentrated in suburban Moussatbeh were the second bomb exploded.Many parked cars the following day bore the scars of the blast.The car in which the explosives were planted was wrecked.
The fighting following the bombings achieved little except ease tensions, although no casualties were reported.
Members of the Syrian-backed Arab Deterrent Forces finally restored a degree of order in the predominantly Moslem half of the city.Residents along the line separating if from the Christian sector separating if from the Christian sector said the exchanges of fire had been more intense than they had been for a long time.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None