- Title: GERMANY: Arms dealer extradited from Canada arrives in Munich
- Date: 3rd August 2009
- Summary: MUNICH, GERMANY (AUGUST 03, 2009) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) WIDE OF TARMAC AT MUNICH AIRPORT AIR CANADA PLANE LANDING, CARRYING GERMAN-CANADIAN ARMS DEALER KARLHEINZ SCHREIBER PLANE TAXIING CONVOY ESCORTED BY POLICE VAN BELIEVED TO CARRY SCHREIBER DRIVING PAST ON TARMAC, SEEN THROUGH WINDOW TORONTO, CANADA (FILE: MAY 15, 2004) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) SCHREIBER ARRIVING BY CAR, GETTING OUT OF CAR AND REFUSING TO COMMENT SCHREIBER SEATED IN ROOM BERLIN, GERMANY (FILE: NOVEMBER 16, 2000) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) FORMER GERMAN CHANCELLOR AND BODYGUARDS LEAVING KOHL'S HOME IN BERLIN KOHL GETTING INTO LIMOUSINE, CAR DRIVING OFF
- Embargoed: 18th August 2009 13:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement
- Reuters ID: LVA9MAV7DN4OOJCOJSBEYIR346AZ
- Story Text: A German-Canadian arms dealer facing tax evasion and corruption charges in Germany has arrived in Munich on Monday (August 3) after he lost a last-ditch appeal on Sunday to stop his extradition when an Ontario judge rejected his application for an injunction.
Karlheinz Schreiber, a key figure in a political scandal involving former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl, was arrested in Toronto 10 years ago and fought extradition for years.
The Ontario Court of Appeal, in an emergency hearing, rejected a request by Schreiber's lawyers that it block his deportation until Tuesday to allow them to file a challenge to Canada's extradition treaty with Germany, the newspaper reported.
The Canadian government had agreed in 2008 to allow Schreiber to remain in his adopted country until he testified at a public inquiry into cash payments he made to former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None