- Title: INTERNET/USA: GOLF - Injuries force Tiger Woods to withdraw from the British Open
- Date: 6th July 2011
- Summary: BETHESDA, MARYLAND, UNITED STATES. (FILE) (REUTERS) TIGER WOODS ON DRIVING RANGE OF ATT CHAMPIONSHIP TIGER WOODS SPEAKING WITH CADDY STEVE WILLIAMS WOODS ON DRIVING RANGE
- Embargoed: 21st July 2011 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA97HQR9LC5CHAVBFUSB2FWITWD
- Story Text: Tiger Woods has pulled out of next week's British Open because of ongoing problems with his left leg, the former world number one said on Tuesday, meaning he will miss a second straight major.
The American hurt his knee and Achilles tendon during the U.S. Masters in April.
"Unfortunately, I've been advised that I should not play in the British Open," the 14-times major winner said in a statement on his website.
"As I stated at the AT&T National, I am only going to come back when I'm 100 percent ready. I do not want to risk further injury.
"That's different for me, but I'm being smarter this time. I'm very disappointed and want to express my regrets to the British Open fans."
Woods is now ranked 17th in the world and has played just nine competitive holes since the Masters, at the Players Championship in Florida two months ago.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None