- Title: USA/FILE: Actor George Clooney briefs the UN on Darfur
- Date: 1st February 2008
- Summary: (W4) DARFUR, SUDAN (FILE - 2004) (REUTERS) INTERNALLY DISPLACED PEOPLE (IDP) CAMP DISPLACED PEOPLE WALKING IN THE CAMP PEOPLE SITTING OUTSIDE TENT VARIOUS OF CAMP VARIOUS OF MILITIA TRAINING VARIOUS OF JANJAWEED ON CAMELBACK
- Embargoed: 16th February 2008 12:00
- Topics: International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVAEM9SO4MV3RGV6JDLX5RNZ5KDU
- Story Text: Actor George Clooney tells the United Nations that they are the only hope in war-torn Darfur.
Oscar-winning actor George Clooney said the time is now for the United Nations to help end the bloodshed in Darfur. Clooney spoke at the United Nations on Thursday (January 31). This was the first visit for Clooney since he was appointed Messenger of Peace by U.N. chief Ban Ki-Moon earlier this month.
While at the United Nations, Clooney was presented with a plaque to honor his service as Messenger of Peace.
Clooney also briefed the U.N. on his recent tour of Darfur, Chad and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
He told the press,
"Let us be clear, as we traveled to north, south, and west Darfur, Al Fashir, Nyala, Salinge, there was not one man, woman, or child at any of these camps, at any of these locations, that didn't hold the government of Sudan, or its Janjaweed-supported militia responsible for them being displaced. Not one. Millions are homeless, not from famine, or disease, or acts of God, but from a well-armed militia intent on ridding the land of its people. That's a fact. That's not speculation. You can have an opinion on why, you can have an opinion on what it should be called, but you can not dispute the fact."
Clooney also challenged the United Nations to bring peace to Sudan. He said,
"You are the United Nations. You are an entity all to yourselves.
When I stood in the hospital next to women who had been raped and set on fire two days earlier, they looked up to me and said, 'Please send the U.N.' Not the U.S., not China, not Russia, just the U.N. You are their only hope."
Clooney also said, "There is only one chance to get this right.
They believe you when you tell them that hope is coming, they know that only the United Nations can help on this scale. They know it, and you know it. I am very proud to be here as a messenger of peace, and the message is that the world is watching, and at this point we can not afford to fail."
George Clooney has been passionate in his efforts to call world attention to the war in Sudan's Darfur region.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None