- Title: LIBYA: Rebels will be defeated in 'days' says minister
- Date: 15th March 2011
- Summary: ZAWIYAH, LIBYA (RECENT - MARCH 3, 2011) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF OIL REFINERY
- Embargoed: 30th March 2011 13:00
- Location: Libya
- Country: Libya
- Topics: War / Fighting,Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVADOOCMWC244ACR4DGSWMQVS23I
- Story Text: Libya's government hopes to regain control over all rebel-held territories in the country within days, a senior foreign ministry official said on Tuesday (March 15).
In order to reunite the country and to keep the country united, the armed forces have to regain control of a number of cities, Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Kaim told Reuters in Tripoli.
"We hope (it will be done) as soon as possible. I hope it will be in a matter of days," he said, adding that the government believed there were up to 3,000 rebels fighting against state troops from their eastern stronghold of Benghazi.
Kaim also said the events of the past month may affect future cooperation with western oil companies.
"Maybe for new ones, new concessions and new contracts. Maybe what happened during last four weeks will be reflected to future cooperation with other countries. But we want to keep our commitments so far," said Kaim.
Kaim also said the regime was in contact with western oil companies to convince them of their safety to re-start working.
"We hope that they will be convinced that security here is guaranteed for everyone, and they will be back to resume their work," said Kaim.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None