- Title: SERBIA: Security buildup ahead of possible Karadzic extradition
- Date: 30th July 2008
- Summary: (W1) BELGRADE, SERBIA (JULY 30, 2008) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF VEHICLES AND POLICE ACTIVITY AT SPECIAL COURT
- Embargoed: 14th August 2008 13:00
- Location: Serbia
- Country: Serbia
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement
- Reuters ID: LVA2AIE6WIGKZCSHK7H5K7KG1JWQ
- Story Text: War crimes suspect Radovan Karadzic is leaving Serbia and will soon be in the custody of the U.N. war crimes court at The Hague, Serbian government sources said on Wednesday(July 30).
Escorted by masked officials from the Serbian secret service, he was taken from detention to Belgrade airport early on Wednesday to board a plane for the Netherlands, Serbian officials said.
The wartime leader of the Bosnian Serbs faces two charges of genocide for the 43-month siege of Sarajevo and for the 1995 massacre of some 8,000 Muslims at Srebrenica, the worst atrocity in Europe since World War Two.
He was arrested last week after 11 years on the run.
Karadzic, a hero to Serb hardline nationalists in Bosnia and Serbia, had been kept in a Belgrade prison while his legal team tried to block his extradition.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None