- Title: White House displays ribbon to mark World AIDS Day
- Date: 1st December 2016
- Summary: WASHINGTON, DC, UNITED STATES (DECEMBER 1, 2016) (REUTERS) WIDE OF WHITE HOUSE WITH RED RIBBON HANGING AT FRONT ENTRANCE CLOSE OF RED RIBBON HANGING AT FRONT ENTRANCE OF WHITE HOUSE VARIOUS OF RED RIBBON HANGING AT THE WHITE HOUSE ENTRANCE
- Embargoed: 16th December 2016 17:16
- Keywords: White House ribbon World AIDS day red ribbon
- Location: WASHINGTON, DC, UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, DC, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA0015B20LS7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: From awareness campaigns to candle-lit vigils, people around the globe are marking World AIDS Day on Thursday (December 1).
At the White House a large red ribbon was put on display at the front entrance to commemorate the day.
Each year, people across countries gather on Dec. 1 to promote awareness about the fight against HIV/AIDS and remember those who lost their lives.
The hashtag #WorldAIDSDay trended on Twitter as users posted messages and pictures of red ribbons supporters wear to mark the occasion, as well as of people around the world lighting candles for commemoration events.
According to the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), some 36.7 million people around the world were living with HIV last year.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None