- Title: Latvia's airBaltic present their first Bombardier CS300 plane
- Date: 2nd December 2016
- Summary: RIGA, LATVIA (DECEMBER 1, 2016) (REUTERS) LIGHT SHOW AT UNVEILING CEREMONY OF FIRST BOMBARDIER CS300 AIRCRAFT IN AIRBALTIC FLEET SPECTATORS TAKING PHOTOS LIGHTS ILLUMINATE CS300 AIRCRAFT
- Embargoed: 17th December 2016 11:49
- Keywords: Latvia airline airBaltic Bombardier CS300 aircraft
- Location: RIGA, LATVIA
- City: RIGA, LATVIA
- Country: Latvia
- Reuters ID: LVA0015B6YO1L
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Latvian airline airBaltic presented their first Bombardier CS300 aircraft on Thursday (December 1), the largest in its family of C Series aircraft, which can seat between 130 to 150 passengers.
The Latvian national airline ordered 20 CS300 aircraft in 2012, with the delivery to be completed in 2019. AirBaltic CEO, Martin Gauss, said the airline ordered the planes because he thought they were better quality than their Airbus or Boeing competitors.
Gauss said that airBaltic will gradually renew its fleet by selling its Boeing 737 planes and by 2020 the entire fleet will consist of Bombardier planes.
"We will get a total of 20 of CS300 and the Boeings will leave us over time," Gauss said at the unveiling of the first Bombardier."
Asked about delays in deliveries, Gauss said they have actually been beneficial for airBaltic.
"The delivery schedule now fits perfect to our business plan and we are very happy with that."
"We were able to plan in deliveries well in advance as they are coming in now and it has no effect because we were delaying Boeings with the exit of the fleet. And we have now planned in the C Series as they are coming in and the first one is here," Gauss added.
The C Series is the only aircraft optimized for the 100 to 150-seat market segment and, according to the press release issued by airBaltic, it offers a 18 percent lower cost per passenger.
Established in 1995, airBaltic connects the Baltic region with 60 destinations in Europe, Middle East and the CIS. It is a joint stock company, its primary share holder is the Latvian state.
The maiden commercial flight of airBaltic's first CS300, which will take passengers from Riga to Amsterdam, is scheduled for December 14.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.