- Title: Blatter appeal decision to be announced on Monday
- Date: 2nd December 2016
- Summary: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND (FILE - AUGUST 25, 2016) (REUTERS) **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** EXTERIOR OF THE COURT OF ARBITRATION FOR SPORT (CAS) HEADQUARTERS PLATE AT ENTRANCE READING (French and English): "COURT OF ARBITRATION FOR SPORT" CAR CARRYING FORMER FIFA PRESIDENT, SEPP BLATTER, ARRIVING BLATTER GETTING OUT OF CAR BLATTER DURING INTERVIEW WITH JOURNALISTS IN FRONT OF CAS BLATTER FINISHING INTERVIEW AND ENTERING CAS BUILDING CAMERA CREWS WAITING IN FRONT OF CAS EXTERIOR OF CAS HEADQUARTERS CAS SIGN LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND (FILE - AUGUST 25, 2016) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF CAS HEADQUARTERS VARIOUS OF BLATTER LEAVING BUILDING AFTER HIS HEARING BLATTER IN HIS CAR DOING A THUMBS UP AND CAR LEAVING CAS
- Embargoed: 17th December 2016 11:01
- Keywords: Sepp Blatter FIFA CAS
- Location: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- City: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Reuters ID: LVA0015B6WO5B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter will discover on Monday (December 5) whether he has won his appeal against a six-year ban from football imposed for ethics violations amid the biggest corruption scandal ever to shake the world soccer body.
Blatter led the global soccer body for 17 years until he resigned in June last year after several dozen football officials, including former FIFA executive committee members and entities, were indicted in the United States on graft-related charges.
Blatter, 80, was not among those indicted but himself became embroiled when he was banned from all football-related activity the following December by FIFA's ethics committee, along with the then UEFA president Michel Platini.
As a result of the scandal, FIFA has been forced to implement wide-ranging reforms to make itself more transparent and accountable, as have regional governing bodies in South America (CONMEBOL) and North and Central America and the Caribbean.
Meanwhile, Swiss prosecutors are investigating the decision made in 2010 to award the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar.
The bans were imposed on Blatter and Platini for ethics violations related to a payment of two million Swiss francs that FIFA made to Platini with Blatter's approval in 2011 for work done a decade earlier.
Both men, who have denied wrongdoing, were initially banned for eight years, later reduced to six by FIFA's appeals committee.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), sport's highest tribunal, said on Friday it would announce its verdict in the case at 1400 GMT.
Platini has already taken his case to CAS, which rejected his appeal but reduced his ban to four years.
CAS secretary general Matthieu Reeb said that at the time of Platini's hearing that the outcome of the Frenchman's case could be an accurate guide as to what would happen to Blatter.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None