- Title: Red Crescent rescuers recover 11 migrant bodies in Libya
- Date: 4th December 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF RESCUERS GETTING A BODY OUT OF SEA RESCUERS STOOD NEAR BODY ON BEACH DEAD BODY ON BEACH COVERED BY SHEET
- Embargoed: 19th December 2016 18:10
- Keywords: Migrants bodies Libya conflict war IS
- Location: TAJURA, LIBYA
- City: TAJURA, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Reuters ID: LVA0085BGXW07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Red Crescent rescuers recovered 11 migrant bodies 20 km. east of Tripoli on Sunday (December 4) with 5 bodies still to be recovered, according to a rescuer.
The death toll in the Mediterranean, the most dangerous border crossing on the planet for migrants, is estimated to be 4,636 this year, 1,000 more than in all of 2015, according to the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
Mohammed Ahmed a Red Crescent rescuer said that they were informed that there were 16 bodies of illegal migrants.
"11 bodies have been recovered off Tajura coast, and five others have not yet been recovered due to lack of supplies," he said Mohamed.
Migrants, mainly from West Africa, are taking to the sea from Libya in flimsy rubber boats, trying to reach Italian islands and Europe, where they have little hope of being granted asylum, IOM spokesman Leonard Doyle said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None