- Title: Dubai breaks record for world's largest floral installation
- Date: 4th December 2016
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS ADJUDICATOR, KEVIN SOUTHAM, SAYING: "The record we've broken today is for the largest flower structure. The previous record, 7.16 meters by 10.65 meters by 1.41 meters (in the shape of an arch). This record far exceeds that and we're just waiting for the final confirmation of one of the measurements but the width of the plane is 78.34 metres, the length of the plane 72.95 metres, and the height, we're just waiting for confirmation, we think around 20 meters. So far exceeds the world record and a new Guinness World Record started today." VARIOUS OF THE EMIRATES A380 PLANE COVERED IN FLOWERS WITH VISITORS TAKING SELFIES WITH THE PLANE VISITORS SITTING ON A BENCH SWING LOOKING AT THE PLANE VARIOUS OF THE EMIRATES PLANE AT MIRACLE GARDEN (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) ABDEL NASER RAHHAL, MANAGING DIRECTOR OF DUBAI MIRACLE GARDEN, SAYING: "At the Miracle Garden we always like to offer things that are unique and special. This plane is special and at the Miracle Garden we like to transform things people see in their daily lives, from manufactured things into more natural things that contain life and nature. The A380 is very much talked about among travelers. Everyone wants to take a ride in it. So we thought we should replicate it, one to one, in its true size, and completely cover it with flowers. Of course this was a big challenge but nothing is impossible when there is determination." VARIOUS OF FLOWER DISPLAYS IN MIRACLE GARDEN INCLUDING LONG ARCHWAY COVERED IN FLOWERS, A MINIATURE REPLICA OF THE BURJ KHALIFA MAKESHIFT MOUNTAINS BUILT OF FLOWERS WITH LARGE PARROT REPLICAS PERCHED ON TOP VARIOUS OF EMIRATES A380 PLANE COVERED IN FLOWERS WITH EMIRATES LOGO READING IN ENGLISH SHAPED OUT OF YELLOW FLOWERS ON SIDE OF PLANE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) ABDEL NASER RAHHAL, MANAGING DIRECTOR OF DUBAI MIRACLE GARDEN SAYING: "There are two ways to build flowers structures for display: one of them uses cut flowers that lasts only five to six days and this is easy for anyone to do. The challenge is for the plants to be planted within the structure itself, to live and survive five to six months. How to maintain the plants, how to water them, how to maintain their shape, these are the real challenges. Our plants are live plants planted in the plane, watered on the plane, fertilised on the plane, everything from A to Z." VARIOUS OF EMIRATES AIRLINE PLANE COVERED IN FLOWERS
- Embargoed: 19th December 2016 14:06
- Keywords: Flowers Dubai Emirates Guinness World Record
- Location: DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
- City: DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
- Country: United Arab Emirates
- Reuters ID: LVA0035BGWU39
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Dubai has added yet another world record to its roster: the world's largest flower structure in the shape of an Emirates Airlines A380 covered in more than 500,000 flowering plants.
The plane, on display at Dubai's Miracle Garden, took 180 days to construct.
Features include the Emirates Airlines logo on the sides in yellow flowers, the Emirates flag on the tail, and four engines with rotating fans covered in white flowers.
When in bloom, the 500,000 flowering plants are red, yellow, black, green and white and are able to yield as many as 5 million individual flowers.
Fifty tonnes of concrete and 30 tonnes of steel make up the life-size A380 plane structure.
According to the Guinness World Records team in Dubai, the flower installation far exceeded previous records.
"The record we've broken today is for the largest flower structure...this record far exceeds (previous attempts)" said Guinness world records adjudicator, Kevin Southam.
The flowers covering the structure are watered, pruned, cut, shaped and fertilised while on the structure itself.
The Miracle Garden uses a special irrigation system that allows them to water the plants whilst remaining attached to the plane, one of the challenges faced by the team during construction.
"There are two ways to build flowers structures for display: one of them uses cut flowers that lasts only five to six days and this is easy for anyone to do. The challenge is for the plants to be planted within the structure itself, to live and survive five to six months," said Miracle Garden managing director, Abdel Nasser Rahhal.
"How to maintain the plants, how to water them, how to maintain their shape, these are the real challenges. Our plants are live plants planted in the plane, watered on the plane, fertilised on the plane, everything from A to Z," added Rahhal.
Dubai is home to several world records: the world's tallest building, the world's longest painting, and the world's largest perfume bottle, to name a few.
The plane will remain on display at the Miracle Garden in Dubai for three years.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None