- Title: Faithful remember Castro during mass
- Date: 4th December 2016
- Summary: SANTIAGO DE CUBA, CUBA (DECEMBER 4, 2016) (REUTERS) PROCESSION ENTERING CHURCH STATUE OF VIRGIN OF CHARITY OF EL COBRE
- Embargoed: 19th December 2016 16:04
- Keywords: Fidel Castro Raul Castro funeral interment
- Location: SANTIAGO DE CUBA, CUBA
- City: SANTIAGO DE CUBA, CUBA
- Country: Cuba
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BGX16V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Cuban faithful attending church services on Sunday (December 4) remembered Fidel Castro who was laid to rest in Santiago's Santa Ifigenia Cemetery earlier in the day.
Castro's cremated remains were placed a few steps from the mausoleum of independence hero Jose Marti, another towering figure of Cuban history who Castro long admired.
During a small mass at a Santiago church, parishioners prayed for Castro who died on November 25 at age 90.
"Today we have to think that we cannot trust a better and better world to some. Leaders are going through time. The remains of Fidel will accompany the remains of Marti [Cuban national hero Jose Marti], of Carlos Manuel [Carlos Manuel de Cespedes, Cuban independence hero], Maceo [Cuban independence hero Antonio Maceo], of the many who came before him who also fought for this country," said Father Luis del Castillo.
"I came to pray for our commander who died some days ago and for, as one would say, eternal life there in the other world," said parishioner, Judenia Estrada.
Castro, who had been out of power for a decade but never far from the center of public life, died on Nov. 25 at age 90.
Forced to step down due to an intestinal ailment, Castro ceded power to his younger brother Raul, the current president, at first provisionally in 2006, then definitively in 2008. Cuba has not revealed the cause of his death.
In keeping with his wishes, Castro's image will not be immortalized with statues and public places will not be named after him, his brother said on Saturday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.