- Title: Fidel Castro's ashes taken to cemetery as crowds bid final farewell
- Date: 4th December 2016
- Summary: SANTIAGO DE CUBA, CUBA (DECEMBER 4, 2016) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF ANTONIO MACEO MONUMENT, WHERE FIDEL CASTRO'S ASHES WERE HOUSED BEFORE HEADING TO SANTA IFIGENIA CEMETERY CLOSE-UP OF ANTONIO MACEO STATUE GENERAL VIEW OF ANTONIO MACEO MONUMENT PHOTO OF FIDEL CASTRO ON MONUMENT WALL VARIOUS OF FIDEL CASTRO FUNERAL CORTEGE LEAVING ANTONIO MACEO MONUMENT TO GO TO CEMETERY CROWD WAVING CUBAN FLAGS CASTRO'S ASHES BEING TRANSPORTED IN CORTEGE ONLOOKERS HOLDING CUBAN FLAG CORTEGE PASSING CROWD (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CUBAN, JOSEFA DURAN, SAYING: "Fidel is everything for me, my life, my soul, my heart, but he remains inside of me. He is my idol and I ask for a blessing on him for all days." WOMAN CRYING CHILD SUNRISE OVER STREET AND CROWD CROWD / CHILD HOLDING CUBAN FLAG PEOPLE IN CROWD HOLDING FLAG READING: "JULY 26" TO MARK THE DATE OF CASTRO'S ATTACK ON MONCADA BARRACKS CASTRO'S ASHES PASSING BY (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CUBAN, MELISA TARRADELL, SAYING: "Fidel has been the best for all the students, for all the people of Cuba. He has been the father, he has been everything. And for us, it is a very special moment, to share this moment with the people of Cuba and the world." VARIOUS OF CORTEGE PASSING BY CROWDS SHOUTING "I AM FIDEL" PERSON CARRYING POSTER WITH IMAGE OF FIDEL CASTRO CUBAN FLAG AND FLAG READING "JULY 26" AT HALF MAST
- Embargoed: 19th December 2016 13:18
- Keywords: Fidel Castro Raul Castro cortege ashes burial cemetery
- Location: SANTIAGO DE CUBA, CUBA
- City: SANTIAGO DE CUBA, CUBA
- Country: Cuba
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BGWZLZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The family of Fidel Castro began a ceremony on Sunday (December 4) to inter the revolutionary leader's ashes in the eastern city of Santiago, state media reported.
Castro died on Nov. 25 aged 90, setting off nine days of official mourning scheduled to end on Sunday.
Crowds lined the streets of Santiago early on Sunday to watch Castro's ashes be transported to the Santa Ifigenia Cemetery.
"Fidel is everything for me, my life, my soul, my heart, but he remains inside of me. He is my idol and I ask for a blessing on him for all days," said Cuban Josefa Duran.
Official Cuban media at first reported the events would be carried live on television, but hours before the ceremony was due to take place reported that it would be "solemn and private".
Video of the event would only be televised on delay, as Cuban television cut from live coverage at the appointed hour of 7 a.m. EST (1200 GMT).
Castro came to power in a 1959 revolution and built a Communist state on the doorstep of the United States.
He ruled for 49 years before stepping down a decade ago due to illness.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None