- Title: File footage of Thai King Bhumibol, who will turn 89
- Date: 4th December 2016
- Summary: BANGKOK, THAILAND (FILE - DECEMBER 12, 2007) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) MILITARY PARADE MARKING KING BHUMIBOL'S 80TH BIRTHDAY KING BHUMIBOL STANDING IN OPEN TOPPED CAR ROYAL GUARD OF HONOUR STANDING TO ATTENTION KING BHUMIBOL AND QUEEN SIRIKIT SITTING IN OPEN-TOP CAR, DRIVING PAST King Bhumibol Adulyadej turned 80 in 2007, with scores of Thais travelling hundreds of kilometres to take part in celebrations in Bangkok in the hope of catching a glimpse of the deeply-revered monarch in person.
- Embargoed: 19th December 2016 04:31
- Keywords: Thailand King Thai Bhumibol Adulyadej file profile obit obituary Thai King
- Location: BANGKOK, AYUTTHAYA PROVINCE, HUA HIN AND UNIDENTIFIED LOCATIONS, THAILAND
- City: BANGKOK, AYUTTHAYA PROVINCE, HUA HIN AND UNIDENTIFIED LOCATIONS, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Reuters ID: LVA0035BGW4SL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who died on October 12, was the world's longest-reigning monarch, credited with restoring the influence of Thailand's royalty during 70 years on the throne and much loved by many of his subjects.
He would be celebrating his 89th birthday on Monday (December 5).
When the hearse of King Bhumibol made its way from the hospital on October 14 afternoon to the Grand Palace, hundreds of thousands of Thais stood on the roadside hoping to catch a last glimpse of their beloved monarch.
Many more lined up outside the palace to pay their last respects in the following days.
For the majority of the country's 68 million people, the king was a pillar of stability in rapidly changing times - Thailand embraced industrialisation during his reign but also saw its parliamentary democracy punctuated by 10 military coups, the most recent in May 2014.
He was succeeded by his son King Maha Vajiralongkorn.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.