- Title: Syrian government forces seize more of Aleppo from rebels
- Date: 5th December 2016
- Summary: AL-SHAAR NEIGHBOURHOOD, ALEPPO, SYRIA (DECEMBER 5, 2016) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DAMAGED BUILDINGS IN THE AL-SHAAR NEIGHBOURHOOD SYRIAN ARMY COMMANDERS LOOKING AT A MAP SYRIAN GOVERNMENT SOLDIERS MOVING THROUGH AREA WITH GUNS SOLDIERS FIRING THEIR WEAPONS AT REBELS SOLDIERS FIRING HEAVY ARTILLERY FROM THE BACK OF A PICK-UP TRUCK VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS FIRING WEAPONS VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS SHOOTING THEIR WEAPONS FROM INSIDE A BUILDING SOLDIER FIRING HIS MACHINE GUN FROM THE ROOF OF THE BUILDING VARIOUS OF DESTRUCTION IN NEIGHBOURHOOD
- Embargoed: 20th December 2016 15:49
- Keywords: Aleppo fighting Syria rebels al-Shaar eastern Aleppo
- Location: AL-SHAAR, ALEPPO, SYRIA
- City: AL-SHAAR, ALEPPO, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BLZFWN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Syrian government forces and their allies advanced into another rebel-held part of eastern Aleppo, a rebel official and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Monday (December 5), as the army drew closer to opposition-held parts of the Old City.
Having captured swathes of eastern Aleppo from rebels in the last two weeks, the army and its allies are seeking to drive a wedge between the al-Shaar neighbourhood and the remaining part of rebel-held eastern Aleppo to the southwest.
Rebels appeared on the verge of being driven from the neighbourhood after new advances by Syrian government forces on Sunday (December 4). But rebels said they had mounted a counter-attack on Monday, and were recovering ground in some areas.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based war monitor, reported heavy clashes on Monday in al-Shaar. The Syrian army and its allies captured parts of the district, it said.
Some of the fighting took place within a kilometre of the ancient citadel, a large fortress built on a mound, and around the historic Old City.
Heavy gunfire could be heard from the Old City and smoke from mortar shell blasts rose from the area, Reuters journalists in a government-held western district said.
Also on Monday, the Russian government said on Monday it would start talks with Washington on a rebel withdrawal from Aleppo this week as Russian-backed Syrian forces fought to seize more territory from rebels who are struggling to avoid a major defeat.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None