- Title: Syrian rebels shell goverment-held western Aleppo
- Date: 5th December 2016
- Summary: WESTERN ALEPPO, SYRIA (DECEMBER 5, 2016) (REUTERS) VIEW OF WESTERN ALEPPO / AUDIO OF EXPLOSION / SMOKE COMING OUT OF MIRAGE HOTEL NEAR ALEPPO'S CITADEL WHICH IS THE FRONTLINE BETWEEN EASTERN AND WESTERN ALEPPO SMOKE FROM HOTEL DRIFTING ACROSS BUILDINGS SMOKE RISING FROM BEHIND MOSQUE VARIOUS OF CARS DRIVING THROUGH MERIDIEN STREET / AUDIO OF EXPLOSION VARIOUS OF VIEW OF WESTERN ALEPPO / AUDIO OF EXPLOSIONS
- Embargoed: 20th December 2016 09:46
- Keywords: Aleppo Syria bombing unrest
- Location: WESTERN ALEPPO, SYRIA
- City: WESTERN ALEPPO, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BLXC1Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Shelling was heard and plumes of smoke rose over government-held areas of western Aleppo on Monday (December 5) as the army drew closer to opposition-held parts of eastern Aleppo's Old City.
In eastern Aleppo, Syrian government forces and their allies advanced into another rebel-held area, a rebel official and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
A Reuters journalist in government-held western Aleppo said rebels had shelled government-held districts on Monday, especially near the frontlines.
Video footage showed a mortar hitting the Mirage Hotel near Aleppo's Citadel.
The Observatory said government forces had bombarded rebel-held areas of eastern Aleppo intensely since midnight.
Having captured swathes of eastern Aleppo from rebels in the past two weeks, the army and its allies are seeking to drive a wedge between the al-Shaar neighbourhood and the remaining part of rebel-held eastern Aleppo to the southwest.
The rebels defending al-Shaar may be forced to abandon it or risk being cut off from the other areas, rebel sources say.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None