- Title: Blaze at Pakistan hotel kills 11, leaves many more injured
- Date: 5th December 2016
- Summary: KARACHI, PAKISTAN (DECEMBER 5, 2016) (REUTERS) HOTEL BUILDING HOTEL SECTION WHERE FIRE BROKE OUT BURNT INTERIOR RESCUE TEAMS WORKING INSIDE DAMAGED AREA MAN EXTINGUISHING FIRE PEOPLE WALKING IN LOBBY BED SHEETS USED AS ROPES HANGING FROM WINDOWS BROKEN WINDOWS WORKER CLEANING ENTRANCE A FOREIGN NATIONAL OUTSIDE HOTEL LUGGAGE DAMAGED ENTRANCE AMBULANCES BODIES IN BAGS AT HOSPITAL MORGUE BODIES IN BAGS RELATIVES OF VICTIMS AND HOSPITAL WORKERS STANDING IN MORGUE (SOUNDBITE) (English/Arabic) OFFICER IN CHARGE AT JINNAH POST GRADUATE MEDICAL CENTRE (JPMC), DR. SEEMI JAMALI, SAYING: "By the time now, we had 75 people who were brought in and there has been no mortality at JPMC so far, thank God. All patients are safe and secure. And we have only five patients now left in the emergency. The rest of the people who died on the spot perhaps were 11 in number who have been brought to JPMC. There are seven men from there of which three are doctors and there are four ladies." BODIES IN HOSPITAL MORGUE
- Embargoed: 20th December 2016 06:00
- Keywords: Pakistan Karachi fire victims dead
- Location: KARACHI, PAKISTAN
- City: KARACHI, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BLWLZ9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A fire at a luxury hotel in the Pakistani city of Karachi killed at least 11 people on Monday (December 5) and injured dozens, local media reported.
The blaze broke out in a ground floor kitchen of the Regent Plaza hotel and trapped guests in upper floors, the English-language Dawn newspaper reported. The hotel has more than 400 rooms.
Local reporters said the fire had been contained by 9:30 a.m. (0430 GMT).
Karachi Mayor Waseem Akhtar told reporters the cause of the fire was not clear.
Many Pakistani buildings have lax health and safety standards, while the city's firefighters are often equipped with poor and inadequate equipment.
It is not clear if any of the victims were foreign tourists.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None