- Title: Court of Arbitration for Sport maintains ban for ex-FIFA head Blatter
- Date: 5th December 2016
- Summary: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND (FILE - AUGUST 25, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** EXTERIOR OF THE COURT OF ARBITRATION FOR SPORT (CAS) PLATE AT ENTRANCE READING (French and English): COURT OF ARBITRATION FOR SPORT FORMER FIFA PRESIDENT SEPP BLATTER ARRIVING IN CAR BLATTER GETTING OUT OF CAR VARIOUS OF BLATTER WITH JOURNALISTS AND CAMERA CREWS, THEN ENTERING CAS CAMERA CREWS WAITING EXTERIOR OF CAS CAS SIGN VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF CAS HEADQUARTERS (NIGHT SHOT) VARIOUS OF BLATTER LEAVING BUILDING AFTER HIS HEARING (NIGHT SHOT) BLATTER IN HIS CAR GIVING 'THUMB UP' SIGN AS LEAVING (NIGHT SHOT)
- Embargoed: 20th December 2016 13:38
- Keywords: Soccer FIFA Blatter ban CAS arbitration Platini
- Location: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- City: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BLX4XR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on Monday (December 5) maintained a six-year ban from soccer for former FIFA president Sepp Blatter amid corruption allegations, a spokesman for Blatter said.
The 80-year-old Swiss, who headed soccer's global governing body for 17 years until last year, was banned from all soccer-related activity last December along with then-European soccer boss Michel Platini.
The bans related to a payment of two million Swiss francs that FIFA made to Platini with Blatter's approval in 2011 for work done a decade earlier.
Both men, who deny wrongdoing, were initially banned for eight years, later reduced to six by FIFA's appeals committee.
Platini has already taken his case to CAS, which rejected his appeal, but reduced his ban to four years.
CAS secretary general Matthieu Reeb said at the time of Platini's hearing that the outcome of the Frenchman's case could be an accurate guide as to what would happen to Blatter.
As a result of the scandals, FIFA has been forced to implement wide-ranging reforms to make itself more transparent and accountable, as have regional governing bodies in South America (CONMEBOL) and North and Central America and the Caribbean.
Swiss prosecutors continue to investigate the awarding of the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None