- Title: Ghana polls close as president Mahama seeks a final term
- Date: 7th December 2016
- Summary: ACCRA, GHANA (DECEMBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) OFFICIALS STANDING AT OUTDOOR TABLE WITH BOXES OF VOTES, LARGE CROWD AROUND HANDS CUTTING TIES OFF VOTING BOX WOMAN TAKES LID OFF BOX OF VOTES (QUALITY AS INCOMING), OTHER OFFICIALS AROUND HANDS SIFTING THROUGH BOX FULL OF VOTES HANDS COUNTING BUNDLE OF VOTES WOMAN STANDING IN CROWD VOTING HANDS HOLDING WALKIE TALKIE GUARD WITH LIGHT BLUE VEST ON STANDING IN STREET WITH LARGE GUN STRAPPED TO CHEST
- Embargoed: 22nd December 2016 19:25
- Keywords: Ghana Mahama Akufo-Addo election
- Location: ACCRA, GHANA
- City: ACCRA, GHANA
- Country: Ghana
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BVZL1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: QUALITY AS INCOMING
Voting ended in Ghana's presidential and parliamentary election at 1700 local time (1700GMT) on Wednesday (December 7) with polling stations starting the count publicly shortly after.
The election looks set to be a tight race as President John Mahama seeks a second and final term against the backdrop of a West African economy that has slowed since he took power.
He is facing off against opposition leader and head of the New Patriotic Party, Nana Akufo-Addo.
Ghana is a beacon of democracy in West Africa with a history of peaceful elections. The government of the day has lost power twice since 2000.
Most analysts predict a close race for the presidency, but there have been few polls. Daily Dispatch newspaper pollster Ben Ephson forecast that Mahama would win with 52 percent.
Some 15.7 million people are registered to vote and election officials say turnout could reach a record 80 percent. Some voters queued overnight to cast their ballots.
Ghana uses a biometric voting system and has multiple voting lists but there are few signs of major logistical problems.
There are 275 parliamentary seats being contested. Seven people are vying for the presidency, and a second round will follow if no one wins a majority.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None