- Title: France's new premier Bernard Cazeneuve holds first cabinet meeting
- Date: 7th December 2016
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (DECEMBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF ELYSEE PALACE NEWLY-APPOINTED INTERIOR MINISTER, BRUNO LE ROUX, AND LABOUR MINISTER, MYRIAM EL KHOMRI (L-R FIRST ROW) LE ROUX, EL KHOMRI, FRENCH DEFENCE MINISTER JEAN-YVES LE DRIAN (L-R FIRST ROW) FRENCH FINANCE MINISTER, MICHEL SAPIN, FRENCH ENVIRONMENT MINISTER, SEGOLENE ROYAL/ (TO RIGHT OF ROYAL) FRENCH CULTURE AND COMMUNICATION MINISTER, AUDREY AZOULAY, FRENCH HOUSING MINISTER, EMMANUELLE COSSE PRESIDENT FRANCOIS HOLLANDE AND NEWLY-APPOINTED PRIME MINISTER BERNARD CAZENEUVE WALKING TOWARDS FRONT OF GROUP FOR PHOTO SHOOT VARIOUS OF MINISTERS POSING FOR PHOTO MINISTERS LEAVING COURTYARD TO ATTEND CABINET MEETING MINISTERS ENTERING ELYSEE PALACE FLAGS HANGING OUTSIDE ELYSEE PALACE LE DRIAN AND ROYAL GOING DOWN STEPS / HOLLANDE AND CAZENEUVE SHAKING HANDS / CAZENEUVE WALKING AWAY CAMERAMAN FILMING (SOUNDBITE) (French) NEWLY-NAMED PRIME MINISTER, BERNARD CAZENEUVE, SAYING: "I want to be a prime minister who, in the coming months, at every moment and with great selflessness, will have only have one concern - with a sense of the general interest, a sense of the state, and the strengthening of our country's assets - to allow us to succeed in the global competition." CAZENEUVE LEAVING VARIOUS OF MEMBERS OF CABINET LEAVING ELYSEE PALACE
- Embargoed: 22nd December 2016 12:13
- Keywords: TBernard Cazeneuve prime minister Francois Hollande family photo Bruno Le Roux
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BVXFLZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: France's new prime minister Bernard Cazeneuve and his ministers had their first cabinet meeting on Wednesday (December 7), a day after he was appointed by President Francois Hollande to replace Manuel Valls, who quit to run for president after Hollande himself decided against seeking a second term.
Cazeneuve will be the shortest-serving head of state in the history of France's Fifth Republic.
He will play caretaker ahead of next year's vote, where Marine Le Pen's anti-immigrant, anti-European Union National Front hopes to repeat anti-establishment upsets seen earlier this year in Britain, the United States, and this week in Italy.
"I want to be a prime minister who, in the coming months, at every moment and with great selflessness, will have only have one concern - with a sense of the general interest, a sense of the state, and the strengthening of our country's assets - to allow us to succeed in the global competition," Cazeneuve said after the cabinet meeting.
Cazeneuve wanted each minister to be focused on his task, with the objective of being productive in the coming five months, government spokesperson Stephane Le Foll said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None