- Title: Quake in Indonesia kills at least 50
- Date: 7th December 2016
- Summary: PIDIE JAYA, ACEH PROVINCE, INDONESIA (DECEMBER 7, 2016) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) DESTROYED MOSQUE RESCUE WORKERS STANDING ON TOP OF RUBBLE FAMILY SITTING UNDER SHELTER NEXT TO A DAMAGED HOUSE MEDICAL STAFF TREATING AN INJURED MAN EXCAVATOR PIDIE JAYA, ACEH PROVINCE, INDONESIA (DECEMBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) RUBBLE PEOPLE STANDING ON STREET AFTER QUAKE JAKARTA, INDONESIA (DECEMBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF NATIONAL DISASTER MANAGEMENT AGENCY HEADQUARTERS SPOKESPERSON OF NATIONAL DISASTER MANAGEMENT AGENCY, SUTOPO NUGROHO, SPEAKING TO REPORTERS (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) SPOKESPERSON OF NATIONAL DISASTER MANAGEMENT AGENCY, SUTOPO NUGROHO SAYING: "Total death toll is 52, 73 people were seriously injured and about 200 suffering from minor injuries." REPORTERS JOTTING NOTES (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) SPOKESPERSON OF NATIONAL DISASTER MANAGEMENT AGENCY, SUTOPO NUGROHO SAYING: "We estimate the number of casualties will continue to rise as some of the residents are still likely under the rubble of the buildings. The search and rescue operation is still underway." NUGROHO SHOWING LOCATION OF EPICENTRE
- Embargoed: 22nd December 2016 08:51
- Keywords: Indonesia quake newser disaster casualty dead injured
- Location: JAKARTA, PIDIE JAYA, INDONESIA
- City: JAKARTA, PIDIE JAYA, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BVWNYD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITOR PLEASE NOTE: PART VIDEO QUALITY AS INCOMING
The death toll from a strong earthquake that hit northern Indonesia's Aceh province on Wednesday (December 7) has doubled to at least 50, Indonesia's disaster agency said, as rescuers searched dozens of collapsed buildings for trapped survivors.
Search and rescue teams used earth movers to clear rubble and reach what authorities believed were dozens of victims trapped after the magnitude 6.5 quake.
Sutopo Nugroho of the national disaster management agency said a state of emergency had been declared in Aceh, which sits on the northern tip of Indonesia's Sumatra island.
President Joko Widodo said he had instructed his chief of staff to visit the disaster area.
Wednesday's quake hit the east coast of the province, about 170 km (105 miles) from Banda Aceh. Nugroho said Aceh's Pidie Jaya regency, with a population of about 140,000, bore the brunt of the damage.
Aceh was devastated by a massive earthquake and tsunami centred on its western coast near the provincial capital, Banda Aceh, on Dec. 26, 2004.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None